Analyze my first deal

7 Replies

Looking for some advice with my first deal! Thanks in advance!

2 bedroom condo that has been completely remodeled (granite, stainless steal, new carpet, new paint, base boards etc). Purchase price is 38K, would be paying cash. Average rent is $700 for the area but my realtor believes we could obtain a contract at $725 because of the remodel. HOA is $140, includes water, sewer, trash. Annual taxes are $202. I understand this doesn't fit the 1% rule.

So far this sounds like a good deal. Don't forget to incorporate insurance costs. also, will you be managing it yourself or having someone else manage for you?

Promotion
Motivated Leads
Marketing For Investors…By Investors
We Get Houses For Real Estate Investors
We help investors get more off market deals from distressed sellers.
Learn More

Robert,

A few things to check into first. Does the HOA limit rental's? Does the building need maintenance which will require the HOA to hit you with a special assessment? Also, is the $38k purchase or purchase & closing cost.

Using your $700/mo for rent number here's what I got

Annual Rent less 10% vacancy= $7560

Less 10% Management=$6800

HOA=$1680

Taxes=$202 (check to see if your taxes will change for non-owner occupied property)

10% reserves/maintenance etc=$680

Positive Cash Flow=$4238

COC/ROI=$4230/$38,000=11%

Hope this helps, can't say if I would take it or not. Depends on the market, your strategy & your willingness do deal with condo HOA's. Personally, I am not a fan of HOA/POA/Condo Associations etc.

My orriginal number didn't include insurance. By estimation only I'm calling it $600/yr. ROI/COC=$4398/38,000 = 11.57%

Even though you are paying cash, you will still have some closing cost.  Make sure to factor that in as well.  Unless the $38k includes that.

Otherwise looks pretty good.