Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Harper
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Birmingham, AL
Votes |
Scaaaaary Seller Financing Deal!

Matthew Harper
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Birmingham, AL
Posted Oct 31 2014, 14:51

Not too scary, except that it is the first seller that has agreed to discuss seller financing and I have made ZERO deals in my life, and my numbers are quite possibly horribly wrong, and it is blasted HALLOWEEN!

Ok, skinny on the home:

Vacant 1940s craftsman two story 2/2 in an UBER family-saturated (literally two blocks from on of the nicest middle schools in town) neighborhood that pulls ft per square footage numbers down from the heavens.

In need of major renovation:  

-Kitchen (all but possibly cabinets to be replaced)

-Needs HVAC installed

-Lower level bathroom needs to be completely redone

-Majority of floors in remainder of house are good solid wood, just need refinishing

-Need to add a closet to an upstairs room to make it a 3/2

-Great deck outside has retreating and slitted boards from water standing on fallen leaves over the years

-Old one car garage most likely needs tear down

-Basic landscaping and fencing

This property is listed in the MLS and has 100 DOM, dropping from 190k to 172k. On the high end, these houses sell for 400k within these blocks. On the low end, low 200s, Given the style, amenities, and presumed upgrade to 3/2, I expect a worst case ARV of 250k.

My plan:

- Seller would sell the home at a purchase price of $130,000 with no money down. I would pay my closing costs (I am a licensed agent, so would expect 3% back from the sale as well)

- Seller would offer an interest only purchase money mortgage of $130,000 to myself at a fixed interest rate of 6% for a term of 6 years.

$130,000

x 0.06

=$7,800 interest annually

$7,800

x 6 years

=$46,800 interest over the term

$46,800

+ $130,000 loan balance

=$176,800 total compensation (higher than the asking price)

- This would allow me to have a low monthly interest payment of $640, which would free up my funds for the rehabilitation process, and it would allow Mr Lewis to obtain more than his listing price in the course of six years. In the case that I default on my payments as we set up in our agreement, he would have the opportunity to foreclose on me and re-obtain the property.

- I would also obtain a loan for rehab (ballparking 50k but have not walked through with a contractor), which has not even entered the picture yet.

- I expect the home to rent for 1400-1500

This is where I am at the moment and am trying to get a meeting with the seller and his agent.

Thoughts? Oh-no-don't-do-its?  Better options?

Thanks guys

Loading replies...