$17,000 House Do you think this is a good one?

12 Replies

Here is what I am looking at a single family home which will be a cash deal $17000 and about $3000 to have it ready to rent. Management fee is 10% including tenant placement. $1350 a year taxes and $600 for house insurance. it should rent for $525. What do you think?

I don't like it. Your formula does not factor in maintenance (e.g. one big repair such as a new roof could eat an entire year's profits or more), vacancy, evictions, etc. And being only $525 a month rent, you're probably dealing with a lower income part of town (just guessing)....and those properties tend to be higher maintenance and also have higher tenant turnover. And also, the taxes seem a bit high for a property that's only worth $20k (could you get them lowered by protesting them with the county?) Personally...if I could get $700 /mo rent for it - I would go for it - depending on the neighborhood.

$6,300 - Gross Income
$1,950 - Ins/Taxes
$630 - Mangement
$3,720 - Income Before Maintenance, Vacancy, Evictions, Etc

I just purchased a place this week for $20k needing $2000 or so in work.  The county has it valued at $25k and taxes are only $658/year and insurance is $380/year ACV $10k.  I will be renting it at $650-$700/month probably the lower unless I decide to put some more money into the refurb.  I am doing the management myself so I get to pocket the 10% I usually calculate for management fees. 

The biggest drawbacks I see on your deal are the high taxes and relatively low rent.  It sounds like the county has the house valued a lot higher than its current sales price.  I would definitely try to get the valuation down closer to the purchase price if you are using it as a buy and hold.  Also what would it take to get the rent up to $600 or so? 

I just rant this through my spreadsheet and it doesn't look horrible but not great. Figuring 10% each for Maint, CapEx, Vacancy, and PM you should still have $152.50 a month in cash flow but only 8.71% annual return on investment (Assuming cash deal with $1000 in closing costs).

If you can get the taxes down to $700/year and rent up to $575/month you would be at $236.67 monthly cash flow and a 13.52% ROI. That sounds much better especially if you have a good property manager handling everything.

@John Levora  Will the tenants be paying all the utilities? You're already on the low end for what I would want to cash flow and a water or gas bill would really eat into that. Is there any way you could manage the property yourself to save an extra $630/yr

I agree with @Paul Ewing on the property taxes. Get those down, raise your rent 50 bucks a month, manage it yourself and it looks good.

Great comments and analysis. I would only add, even if you perform your own management, factor in 10%, because you might become disabled someday and have to hire this service.

Still, it is marginal, in my opinion. 

Offer less!

I spoke with the Tax assessor today and She said don't count on the Taxes being any lower.  Also the $525 is about all I will be able to get. So looks like a pass. Thanks for the help!

@John Levora 

never hurts to pass on a deal.   @Paul Ewing  

does some good analysis above. If you cant change the rent or taxes , you might try offering lower purchase price o increase your ROI. All they can say is no

I would rather lose sleep over a house I didn't buy, than lose sleep over a house I bought.

I wish I lived somewhere that had $17K to $20K houses that would rent for $525 to $700. I would be all over that. Even apartments don't get that ratio per door.

Why are the taxes so insanely high?

Originally posted by @Joseph Ball :

I would rather lose sleep over a house I didn't buy, than lose sleep over a house I bought.

I definitely agree with this statement.

I also agree with @Joseph Ball  !  Sometime's the hardest part is walking away because you want a deal sooo bad.  But, never never force a "deal".  It will burn you in the end.  At the same time, don't look for the perfect deal either because the problem with those is you might only find one in a lifetime.  Those base hits are were most of the successful R.E. investors make their money.  Good luck!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here