Looking for feedback

5 Replies

Hi everyone, I've been lurking the forums reading as much as possible and this has been a great tool. I'm looking in to purchasing my first property and was looking for some feedback. 

It is a 4plex 2-2bd & 2-1bd. All units rented out

Price-$110,000 Looks fairly updated so not expecting any improvement costs and purchase. 20% down 30 yr fixed

Rent -$2270 10% vacancy

Using 50% rule it would cash flow $681/mo Owner pays heat & water

1. Would 50% be to low with paying heat & water?

2. Value of property has dropped from 150k in 2011 to 130k in 2014, should i be concerned?

Thanks for your input

Jason

Wish I could find something like that here!

I almost feel like this is to good of a deal but the outside of the property looks good, no problems from what I can see. With this being my 1st property I'm being overly cautious.

Try to get a better handle on expenses.  You have tax and insurance,  Maintenance/cap. reserve of $4,000+,management of 10%+, and your utilities.

I have never been able to buy properties at 2% of rent.  The best I have done is about 1.7% and my threshold is 1.33%.  It looks like you may have a great deal.

Good Luck.

Bill

Taxes last year was 4900. I'm waiting to get copies of utility bills.

No, in this case the 50% rule won't work, you're at 18% alone just for the property taxes... add in utilities which can be a killer and you'll likely be closer to 60 - 65% expenses which is probably why the price is where it is.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here