• Rental Property Investor
  • Davenport, IA
Votes |
Owner Occupied House Hack

Nicholas Spohn
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Davenport, IA
Posted Jan 15 2015, 21:21

Hi I'm Nick and I'm a house hacker. I have 5 rentals right now and I am looking to get my 6th as an owner occupied. I have an offer in on a house I really like and because of the 5% down, 4% rate loan think I can make it work even though it definitely will not be my highest returning property. I need someone else's unbiased opinion because I want to live in it I know my perspective is tainted. 

So here are the details:

Its a 4 bedroom (3 and an office technically) 2 bath right on a busy road ( 3 lane one way). So its great for visibility but not so great for resale. No garage but 3 spots in the alley. Its within 1/2 mile of two small colleges and a block from 3 bars and needs almost no work to move in. It is listed at $99 k and has been on the market for 3 months. My other rentals have varied greatly in rent rate so I have trouble committing to a solid rent projection. Here is the rent from my other properties that are all pretty close by.

2 bed: $1000

3 bed: $875

3 bed: $1,100 (I got some desperate students at the last minute)

3 bed; I'm living in with 2 roomies paying $300 each)

3 bed: $900

None of these properties are as nice as the one I want to buy, but the rental market is weak now, there are a ton of properties close by that have been for rent for months. My current roommates are going to move with me. So negotiations have brought the seller to 92 k and I came up to 90 k. Neither is budging. Am I being to stingy here? For some reason I am just hung up that I think I will overpay at 92 but not at 90. So a $92 k property with owner financing that will maybe bring in $1200 in rent max. Would you do it?

Loading replies...