How to structure purchase of property portfolio

8 Replies

I'm working with a retiring landlord who wants to sell of his portfolio of properties.  He's skittish about seller financing, but would consider it with 40-50% down.  My plan is to keep a few that would make good flips, hold a couple rentals myself and sell off the rest.  Ideally I don't want to use all cash, but I also don't want to over-complicate the transaction.  What are my options for structuring the purchase?

If I use a loan would I be able to sell the properties off individually later?  If I wholesale the ones I don't want should I try to get my buyers to close simultaneously?  How would you do it?

keywords: Indianapolis, portfolio lender, blanket loan

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding if you get one blanket loan on a bunch of properties you wouldn't be able to sell them off individually. Or at least it could really complicate the sales. I haven't done this and I'm not in a position to do this soon, but recently met a portfolio lender and that's what I took away from it.

I'm not much help but just wanted to throw out there what I interpreted. Hopefully someone can be of more help. Good luck with the deal @Micki M.  !

With a blanket loan, you'd establish a separate "release" amount for each individual property, up front.

I am currently working with a local bank in my area where they are issuing me a commercial line of credit on a portfolio of houses that I have.  They are willing to release properties in the portfolio which would affect the amount of the line that I can draw upon.  These sort of loans/lines are out there but I am mainly seeing smaller local banks that are willing to do them.  Hope this helps.

@Don Harris  The 9 properties I'm most interested in have a purchase price of about $400k, but half of that are properties I want to flip so I'm wondering if it would be smarter to bring in cash for those and finance the rest.  If I bought the whole portfolio it would be about $600k.

@Micki M.  will the seller let you put them "under contract" for an extended period of time [like 60-90 days]?

If so you could do that & market them.  You could then sell off the ones you don't want via an assignment [to someone like me]!

@Shawn Holsapple  that might work, I wasn't sure how much that would complicate closing since part of our offer is that we'll buy them all to make it an easy transaction.  I'll give you a call so we can chat about what you might be interested in.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.