My first multifamily deal

55 Replies

Hey everyone, so I have a duplex in round rock. I'm kinda nervous, I ran the numbers it seems ok but some feed back would be appreciated.

So have it under contract for 180k, 20% down finanacing 135k @ 4.3% for 30yrs. It's currently renting for 750 a side they're 3/2 with a one car garage. Market rents are 1050 eq. if I did the math right after dumping an additional 30k in rehab I should be cash flowing about $460 a month. Thanks

@James L. ,

I ran the numbers in my tool, and that actually looks fairly similar to the output I'm seeing.  Nice job.

Can you clarify the loan amount vs. the purchase price relative to the 20% down?  The numbers didn't add up, but it's not super relevant assuming you're doing a 20% down at 4.3 amt. at 30 yrs.

Assuming you're being honest to yourself about the market rent It looks like a CAP rate of around 8% and COC returns around 9-10%.

Originally posted by @Samuel DeMass :

@James L. ,

Assuming you're being honest to yourself about the market rent It looks like a CAP rate of around 8%

Why would anyone buy in Round Rock at an 8% cap rate? 

@ Samuel demass

I'm sorry, it's 25% down = 45k

At what point do I walk away from it?

And as far as rents go, I've checked in all directions using rentimeter, Craigslist, and zillow it looks like between 1050- 1200.

There is a house on the same street same floor plan and size renting for 1050 and one for rent 3 blocks away for 1200.

There is one for rent at 875 but it is a 2/1 smaller sqft, and in rough shape

@James L. Good work keeping your expected rents at the low end of the area.

Looks ok but make sure everything is in your calculations like vacancy, cap ex, taxes, insurance.  Do you pay any of the utilities?

Have you accounted for management?  What do they charge in your area?

Sean Ploskina, Oceanside Properties | [email protected] | 757‑581‑1488

ive been eyeing that property.  I would be interested if i was in a position to buy.  I live in the neighborhood and did a drive through to see it.  That paticular street and tenents look rough, but with improvements should bring it up to value with the others.  I doubt youll currently find better in round rock.

From your market analysis, your market may support the increased rent but with my underwriting standards and current rents of 750/unit definitely don't support a 180k purchase price. Also, for a 30k rehab, I only see a 16% Return of annual COC on the 30k . I would have a tough time dumping that kind of money for such a marginal gain.

That deal is terrible.  An additional 30k in rehab?

I apologize but you need to get out of that deal.

so the really rough unit is month to month at 750, it will need about 20k in rehab to get it to a market rent of 1050 which by my math is 18% coc, the other unit is at 750 a month until December and in pretty good shape might need 10k in paint and floorings if I redo the ugly tile, probably could do it for a lot less. I'm trying to be conservative.so if I do my math right that's 36% coc. Does that jive?

Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich :

Seems like much too rich for my blood. $1,050 rent cannot support $90k/door before rehab. For that rent, you'd need to be at no more than about $75k/door all in, and that would be just a retail deal...

Im trying to learn and understand, why? doesnt it still meet the 1% rule? and once both are online it would do better than.

Originally posted by Oliver T.:

That deal is terrible.  An additional 30k in rehab?

I apologize but you need to get out of that deal.

Can I ask why you feel that way? What makes it a terrible deal? I would be buying it 45k below comps and when I m done be nicer and rent higher most likely? I welcome feed back if I dont learn what makes this a bad deal than how can I grow and avoid the same mistakes in the future.

Originally posted by @Bob Bowling:
Originally posted by @Samuel DeMass:

@James L.,

Assuming you're being honest to yourself about the market rent It looks like a CAP rate of around 8%

Hey Bob, what kind of cap rates should I be shooting for?

Originally posted by @James L. :

@James L.,

What are the market comp cap rates? You won't find any reliable comps so you cannot use cap rate comps to value the property. Stick with GRM's since all you need are market rents of similar duplexes and their sales prices. If comparable GRM's are 10 then shoot for 10 or less.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt but I think the issue some people are having is that you are shelling out a ton of capital to make $300 per month, with this being your first deal and all. What if you only get 870 per door? Now you dropped $70K to make $100 per month. 

Also, since this is your first deal, are you solid on the 30K rehab side of it?? 

But remember what opinions are like, we are all just offering advice... especially myself, I have one property under my belt... you are the ultimate decision maker!

correct me if im wrong, but 75k in with 460 mo cashflow is 7% coc.  Putting that much into it wouldnt be worth.

Originally posted by @James L.:

@James L.,

What are the market comp cap rates? You won't find any reliable comps so you cannot use cap rate comps to value the property. Stick with GRM's since all you need are market rents of similar duplexes and their sales prices. If comparable GRM's are 10 then shoot for 10 or less.

So it looks like grms in the area are about 9.5, but when im calculating this propert do I do sales price only? or do I use sales plus rehab? If I do sale price GRM it comes out at about 7%. Im using a duplex less than a block a way with the same floor plan and renting about market 1000 x 2 a month its nicer and selling for 225k is 9.35%

@Robert Omoto

Thanks, that seems right. What kind of cash on cash should I be looking for ideally?

@Robert Omoto

Thanks, that seems right. What kind of cash on cash should I be looking for ideally?

Well im new to RE as well so take what i say for what its worth, but the average for the stock market is 8%.  Add in paydown, tax benefits, and appreciation it may be a better return.  For a higher risk and active investment, i would be wanting more.  If youre investing for appreciation then it would be a different story.  The rehab costs kills the deal for me.

I didnt look inside the house, but from the driveby, i would assume it wasnt well kept at all.  I would be worried about deffered maintenance on top of the rehab costs.  As well as rehab time and finding new tenants... atleast on the side closer to the park.

I was just looking at my coc on my rehab and not the whole deal. And ROI Ugh

So what should I be shooting for? 

If it is rented right now for 750 per door-make an offer for 150K and keep the same tenants. Use other 30K for your next deal

Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

Seems like much too rich for my blood. $1,050 rent cannot support $90k/door before rehab. For that rent, you'd need to be at no more than about $75k/door all in, and that would be just a retail deal...

Im trying to learn and understand, why? doesnt it still meet the 1% rule? and once both are online it would do better than.

So what if it does? In what universe does 1% rule is a qualifier? I am simply telling you that if you pay as much as you are talking, you will lose money. Whether it meets any rule is beside the point, James. Forget the rules - underwrite the income and expense correctly...

So here's what i got when i ran the numbers.

I don't know, its late I will sleep on it.   And thank you every one, I really do appreciate the feed back,

Cash on Cash Return9.39 %
Return on Investment20.28 %
Return on Equity-51.09 %
Capitalization Rate7.04 %
Gross Rental Yield14.00 %
Gross Rent Multiplier7.14

Anything with GRM of over 5.5 will most likely lose money in terms of CF. If you're buying for appreciation, then underwrite to the IRR...

Listen - all you want to know is whether exchanging capital and taking on debt is warranted by the amount of CF you will receive. I promise, regardless of what it looks like on paper, $750 rent will do OK at $45,000/door, and it will do great at $40,000. Forget the 1% rule - it's garbage. Look honestly at what it costs to run property. I know it's difficult for you due to lack of experience, and so much of the stuff you read here is garbage, but you must get a handle on what the costs really are. I'm telling you, paying $200,000 all in for $2,000 of rent will get you into foreclosure...