Deal? Is Stone Mountain, GA A Good Location For Rental?

6 Replies

Anyone familiar with Stone Mountain, GA (near Atlanta)? A realtor sent me a short sale at 55k. 3bed, 2bath. Move-in ready. Recent rent is about 750 to 900 per month.

Concern: school district is very bad. I understand that is a less desirable part. Is this a dying town or blue collar area? 

Thanks

I actually moved from Snellville years ago, which is right next to Stone Mountain. You can see the granite from many of the neighborhood streets. During the housing market crash, someone-I-was-close-with's home went from $150k to a foreclosed value at $50k (like many places). But maybe unlike other places, Snellville was surrounded by Lithonia and Stone Mnt/Clarkston which is an area dominated by class C and D homes. When Snellville became affordable, those areas bled into Snellville. Needless to say, that market never fully recovered. This is just my interpretation. 

That's really just a background story. If I were to purchase properties, it would be closer to the east side of Stone Mnt, not on the west side neighboring Clarkston. 

Of course I have not done a market study from a real estate perspective but growing up in Dekalb Co, I was kinda scared of those areas. 

I hope this helps.

@harry zhou 

I am an Atlanta investor and familiar with just about all cities in GA. Stone Mountain, GA is good for rentals but it depends on the exact neighborhood. If there is a short supply of rentals available in the neighborhood of the property, get it. If plenty are plenty of rentals available, I would suggest looking a little more West towards the city. Decatur and North Decatur are EXCELLENT rental neighborhoods right now. 

With this size home I would think the school system matter, with a small home not so much.

I'm from Lilburn which is right next to Stone Mountain and I second @Justin Bundrick's remarks. In general, the schools are terrible and most of the homes are in C and D neighborhoods. In this area, school district is often king. If you come across a house with a Stone Mountain address that is in Gwinnett County (very small area) then your chances of success are greatly increased. Otherwise, I would be wary.

There are a couple of anomalies: Smoke Rise and Pine Lake. While the schools aren't any better, these two sections might be considered mostly B class areas with just a few A class streets mixed in.

i had a home in Stone Mountain in the 90's and sold it in 2004. I saw that 2 years ago it sold for half of what I sold it and 20% less than what I bought it.  You can find plenty of cash flowing properties with no problem, but I dont forsee any growth in rents are any appreciation. 

Because most scools in thst entire area are medicore at best, I dont think that is aconcern because its actually a good renter's market. @Harry Zhou your goals should determine your strategy 

I bought a house in Stone Mountain two years ago, one of the problem is the high tax level. In my particular case it's more than 2 months rental.

Originally posted by @Jean Paul Rousseau :

I bought a house in Stone Mountain two years ago, one of the problem is the high tax level. In my particular case it's more than 2 months rental.

That's very good point. I saw on zillow that tax has dropped a lot since 2011. Are you experiencing high tax?

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here