1st deal in San Antonio, TX

5 Replies

Alright guys, I completed my first deal. The numbers looked a lot better when I started but I ended up with a cash ROI of 8% and a total ROI of 11%. Renter in the home for $1600/month and mortgage payment of $950 (including taxes and insurance). Im saving about $300/month for repairs/vacancy/capex and Im cash flowing about $350. I went the way of conventional financing with 20% down and I sef-funded my repair cost. Im kinda bummed out because I know most investors are looking for over 20% cash ROI and over 30% total ROI. I think the property is solid in a good part of town and a great rental area. Should I view this as a failed first investment?

@Matt M. , you absolutely should not view this as a failed first investment because, well...you did it. You didn't just plan and think about it, you jumped. Plus, you're making (in my view, anyway) a pretty decent return. So good job getting in the game, and congrats on the positive cash flow. Give us a yell if we can help with anything; lots of good folks here. Good luck and happy investing!

This is a smashing success!  San Antonio is HOT!

Thanks Guys and Gals. I appreciate your support. Hopefully this is my worst deal and it is only up from here!

@Matt M. , keep up the good work. We've got an informal monthly get together next week if you'd like to drop in, we tend to have some buy and hold folks; check my profile if you're interested. Congrats again!

Good Job!! See nothing as a failure, but experience gained for your next one.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.