Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kevin McDonald
  • Investor
  • Lusby, MD
Votes |
My deal good or bad, 2% not possible in my area

Kevin McDonald
  • Investor
  • Lusby, MD
Posted Aug 26 2015, 11:15

Do people really get 2% on rent of the purchase price?  At least where I live there is no way this rule will work.A house that sells for a 130k (that doesn’t need any work) will get about 1200 to 1400 a month rent; no way would it ever get close to 2600k/month.  A 200k house will get 1800/1900 rent.  I just can’t believe there are places in the US where I can buy a 100k house and rent it for 2k dollars a month.

I just purchased my second rental home, my strategy is buy foreclosed homes that need minimal work; most of these are cash only sales "AS IS" fix them up and rent them out. I use my HELOC to purchase and fix up and in 6 months get a 30 year cash out mortgage and pay back my HELOC. I am an extreme DIY'er, I do most of the repairs, and will sub out major tasks (I work a fulltime job, and as I get more houses I will have more done). I self-manage, do my own advertising, leases, work, etc….. I only want to buy houses close to me (within 5 miles) so they are easy to take care of.Here is my last deal:

Paid $108000 for house (3 bdrm/2ba, 1450 sqft rancher, nice flat yard).

$2500 settling fees (don’t have exact amount just a guess)

$2250 in supplies to fix up

In six months when I get 30 year cash out mortgage another $2500 (guestimate) in fees for new loan.  I have signed year lease tenant moving in 30 days from purchase date on this property.

Total investment that will be on loan in six months when I get a 30 year mortgage to pay back HELOC is $115250; 30 years @5% (guess on interest rate) payment is $619/month.Taxes, HOA fees and insurance are $241/month. So my cost per month is $861 per month.

I am getting 1400/month rent on this property, which is the going rate for a property of this type in my area (I did tons of research on rental prices).  My profit (not accounting for expenses are $539/month).

I would love to make as much as I could but I just don’t see how it can be done in my area, basically if you were going to have everything done, and have a property manager you would not make anything in my area.  This house I got sold for 240k in 2008 and should appraise for about 150k now.

My plan is long term, just looking for some extra income when I retire in 15 years; I plan to get 10 properties.

I just wanted opinions on my deal.

Thanks

Loading replies...