Apartment Deal- How Do you Determine PML's Payback?

Apartment Deal- How Do you Determine PML's Payback?

Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 152 posts · 65 votes

I am looking at potentially purchasing an apartment building. I have looked at several of the pro formas here on the site as well as others, but am struggling to analyze a second loan for a PML from these spreadsheets. The property is a 30 unit. I am waiting on actual numbers, but the projected numbers indicate: 

Cap rate: 11.7%

Cash on Cash: 22%

Cash flow/mo: $4228

I can get traditional financing from the bank for 75%, but need to come up with 25% down. We are thinking of offering ~$920,000 for the property, which would require a $230,000 down payment. 

I have talked with a few investors who buy apartments and they said it's not often that you can find a PML with rates that will support many deals. How can i determine that in this scenario for sure? I have a meeting with a PML on Thursday and need to figure out what to ask for, or cancel the meeting if I don't think he will like the return. I've heard he typically lends at 3 points and 12%. 

I'm also open to creative terms if anyone has ideas? I thought about suggesting he pay all of the down payment and then I offer him 50% of profits. 

Thanks for your help!  

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • crystal river, FL · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    how much of the $230,000 do you havery now?

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 152 posts · 65 votes
    10y

    @Diana Ferreyra we want to use private money for all of it if possible. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Watertown, MA · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 77 votes
    10y

    It might be tough to get all private funding, most want you to come up with something.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.