Good or bad deal? House in Haines City, Florida (Orlando area)

31 Replies

Hi Everybody,

looking to get an advice. I got a house through an auction in Haines CIty, Florida (1117 Avenue H, Haines City, FL 33844) for $10K. It's a small 800 sq ft house but looks solid and it's made of masonry. 

But it turns out to be in a "questionable area" (my realtor did not even feel comfortable getting out of the car to take some pictures).

Original goal was to get it, rehab and rent it out, but I am not quite sure if i want to deal with rental properties in "war zones" - probably will be hard to rent, maintain etc.

But maybe if renting does not work out - is it possible to flip it? wholesale?

Would really like to get advice if it's worth dealing with and if people know exact area - would appreciate your thoughts about area. 

Any advice/feedback is appreciated. 

Thanks.

That area is 100% a war zone. If you plan on flipping it, rehab to rental condition and lease it. Sell it turnkey to an investor that is willing to put the time it takes into leasing in that kind of environment. If you're willing to deal with, keep it yourself! 

Good luck!

-Ben

Don't think of it as a war zone... Think of it as an ethnic neighborhood. (at all costs, avoid "steering").

You got a good deal, the property doesn't seem that bad...

Suggestions:

When you rehab put a sign out front asking for a laborer from the neighborhood. They could be your security...

Do the rehab one of two ways...

If you are going to rent it, do it as section 8 housing

If you are going to sell it, sell it as a lease/option with a 12 month option period where the option deposit is non-refundable. That will insure that the tenant will take care of the property as they will eventually own it

Good luck...

Thanks to all who commented on this. 

What would you say level of this area? A-B-C... ? 

Real estate agent told me he did  not feel comfortable getting out of the car - maybe it's an agent that does not want to get his hands dirty or maybe something else. That just adds complexity to deals being out-of-state. But when you hear that there are a bunch of people on porches and they stare at you and agent does not feel safe to get out of the car... and that's at day time! what happens at night time?!

I am still not quite sure if it's a good deal or bad deal...

From one hand - i got the house for $10K which i can rent for $500+/month, that's good. The house looks solid. 

From the other hand though... I am not quite sure about neighborhood; the house might be occupied and i got it from the auction so that means i might need to evict people (extra cost); roof looks like needs replacing ($3-5K); unknown repairs needed inside of the house; based on neighborhood it might be more challenging to find a good tenant or buyer to purchase.

So far I have minuses overpass pluses. 

Any extra feedback/comments are appreciated!

Thanks all!

It's not steering if you don't want to invest in a neighborhood. That's why we call them ABCD. It's only steering if a realtor or broker tell you not to invest in an area because of a certain type of race, religion, etc living there. The realtor said they don't fee safe getting out of the car. That is acceptable to say.

I have worked in some of the worst areas in NYC and I would not invest in an area that is called the war zone. There are too many issues to contend with.

Having that said, some of the best areas to invest are where others don't want to go.

@Sergey Perevalov Was this a Tax Deed foreclosure, the profile fits, or a Mtg foreclosure.  If a tax deed auction, you need to do a quiet title action to get clear title, in order to sell with a clear title.  And not trying to be pessimistic, but most of our counties have very competitive bidding on auction properties.  When an out of state bidder wins an auction, it's generally not because the local bidders weren't paying attention, it's usually because the locals know something the out of state guy doesn't.

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

@Sergey Perevalov my only advice is fire your realtor for being a pansy. 

Justin,

Thanks for advice. You might be right. In the end of the day he is a realtor and he needs to see houses every day. And he is a guy!  

Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks :

@Sergey Perevalov Was this a Tax Deed foreclosure, the profile fits, or a Mtg foreclosure.  If a tax deed auction, you need to do a quiet title action to get clear title, in order to sell with a clear title.  And not trying to be pessimistic, but most of our counties have very competitive bidding on auction properties.  When an out of state bidder wins an auction, it's generally not because the local bidders weren't paying attention, it's usually because the locals know something the out of state guy doesn't.

Wayne,

Thanks for a great advice. It was a tax deed auction. I am aware of quiet title action. You are right about being out of state - it makes it harder. I got my first house through a tax deed auction as well and ithought it was a great deal, but later i found out that the house had a $70K lien from code violations! No wonder nobody bided on it! But i was able to reduce the fees significantly and converted into a great rental.

Originally posted by @Sergey Perevalov :

Hi Everybody,

looking to get an advice. I got a house through an auction in Haines CIty, Florida (1117 Avenue H, Haines City, FL 33844) for $10K. It's a small 800 sq ft house but looks solid and it's made of masonry. 

But it turns out to be in a "questionable area" (my realtor did not even feel comfortable getting out of the car to take some pictures).

Original goal was to get it, rehab and rent it out, but I am not quite sure if i want to deal with rental properties in "war zones" - probably will be hard to rent, maintain etc.

Would really like to get advice if it's worth dealing with and if people know exact area - would appreciate your thoughts about area. 

Thanks.

Hi Sergey,

I used to live in Northridge CA...now am in Alaska !  Anyway, I  notice you're looking at some of the same towns in Florida I've looked at (Winter Haven, etc).  Sounds like you got a good deal on the house in Haines City.  How do you narrow down your criteria?? Are you specifically looking for houses under $15K to purchase?  Did you buy it at a tax deed sale or some other auction? 

I bought my first tax lien in Colorado last month. If you put $15K total (purchase price plus roof plus other repairs) and then get $400/month x 12 months after paying a property manager and taxes and repairs, that would be 4800/15000 = 32% ROI ...pretty good!

Originally posted by @Tricia O'Brien :
Originally posted by @Sergey Perevalov:

Hi Everybody,

Thanks.

Hi Sergey,

I used to live in Northridge CA...now am in Alaska !  Anyway, I  notice you're looking at some of the same towns in Florida I've looked at (Winter Haven, etc).  Sounds like you got a good deal on the house in Haines City.  How do you narrow down your criteria?? Are you specifically looking for houses under $15K to purchase?  Did you buy it at a tax deed sale or some other auction? 

I bought my first tax lien in Colorado last month. If you put $15K total (purchase price plus roof plus other repairs) and then get $400/month x 12 months after paying a property manager and taxes and repairs, that would be 4800/15000 = 32% ROI ...pretty good!

Hi Tricia,

It's a small world! I got my first house in winter haven, that's why I want to get something close by so it's easier to manage. I have one criteria for regular purchasing and a little different for tax deeds

On tax deeds i am just trying to get what's available for a reasonable price based on funds available as well. 

Congrats on your first lien. Liens are very interesting as well. Great option to get good return and in some cases you will be the first one to get a preperty if it goes on sale.

@Sergey Perevalov I admire your resolve to reach your investment goals! In terms of this property, I have no knowledge of the area but having read a few other posts, I want to offer my encouragement as well as a bit of caution I had not thought of before but makes perfect sense in this case if your house is indeed in a war zone.

Rehabbing will be a challenge as you are likely to suffer vandalism and removal of your new materials and appliances.

That being said, you certainly need to find a property manager that specializes in those areas, has an understanding of the people and perhaps even a rapport with them. This PM will be your absolute best adviser as they'll know contractors to use and techniques to secure your rehab as well as the best exit strategy in terms of rent or sell.

Best wishes and I hope you are able to make this into a great deal. 

Originally posted by @Tricia O'Brien:

Hi Everybody,

Thanks.

Hi Sergey,

Hi Tricia,

It's a small world! I got my first house in winter haven, that's why I want to get something close by so it's easier to manage. I have one criteria for regular purchasing and a little different for tax deeds

On tax deeds i am just trying to get what's available for a reasonable price based on funds available as well. 

Congrats on your first lien. Liens are very interesting as well. Great option to get good return and in some cases you will be the first one to get a preperty if it goes on sale.

Hi Sergey,

Are you able to get financing (like a hard money lender or private lender)for purchases at a tax deed auction like this one in Haines City or do you buy with all cash?

Originally posted by @Tricia O'Brien :

Hi Everybody,

Thanks.

Hi Sergey,

Hi Tricia,

Hi Sergey,

Are you able to get financing (like a hard money lender or private lender)for purchases at a tax deed auction like this one in Haines City or do you buy with all cash?

Tricia,

i do all cash, but understand with this i have limited resources. I started looking into lenders who do financing for tax deed properties. Was not able to find anybody yet. It might also be because with tax deed purchase you don't get a clear title - you either have to go through quiet title action or through title certificate companies that just help you to obtain title insurance. If you happen to know some lenders that do this type of financing - I would appreciate if you share some referrals. 

Originally posted by @Pyrrha Rivers :

@Sergey PerevalovI admire your resolve to reach your investment goals! In terms of this property, I have no knowledge of the area but having read a few other posts, I want to offer my encouragement as well as a bit of caution I had not thought of before but makes perfect sense in this case if your house is indeed in a war zone.

Rehabbing will be a challenge as you are likely to suffer vandalism and removal of your new materials and appliances.

That being said, you certainly need to find a property manager that specializes in those areas, has an understanding of the people and perhaps even a rapport with them. This PM will be your absolute best adviser as they'll know contractors to use and techniques to secure your rehab as well as the best exit strategy in terms of rent or sell.

Best wishes and I hope you are able to make this into a great deal. 

Thanks for advice and support, Pyrrha. I appreciate that. 

I am definitely not Mr. Negative, however I'd be looking for an exit plan, not a hold plan.

You will probably spend more time trying to get honest, reliable contractors to complete your rehab project, additional time and money protecting (or replacing) your new copper and appliances and later finding a responsible property manager.

@Sergey Perevalov  My big concern for you is that you feed this project and devote untold hours and thousands of dollars chasing a few bucks from difficult, transient tenants or become a slave to the local Housing Authority.  Are you willing to fly there and spend time satisfying the agency's list of required tenant improvements?

My suggestion is that you drive from Northridge and go to Mic Blackwell's real estate lunch group at the Grand Buffet in Phillips Ranch (Pomona Area, way east of you but still LA County). The meeting is free, the lunch is inexpensive and you'll meeting both new investors as well as plenty of seasoned landlords, many who participate in local Section 8 programs and plenty who do not.

It's time you find serious guidance and decide if out-of-state real estate is really for you or if closer opportunities exist in your own backyard.

So, what's it gonna be? A trip to Pomona or a flight to Florida?

Hi Everybody,

Thanks.

Hi Sergey,

Hi Tricia,

Hi Sergey,

Tricia,

i do all cash, but understand with this i have limited resources. I started looking into lenders who do financing for tax deed properties. Was not able to find anybody yet. It might also be because with tax deed purchase you don't get a clear title - you either have to go through quiet title action or through title certificate companies that just help you to obtain title insurance. If you happen to know some lenders that do this type of financing - I would appreciate if you share some referrals. 

Sergey,

Unfortunately I have not heard of anyone who does loans for purchases at tax deed auctions, but I'll let you know if I hear of someone.  I'll send you a colleague request so it's easy to stay in touch.

Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

Wayne,

Thanks for a great advice. It was a tax deed auction. I am aware of quiet title action. You are right about being out of state - it makes it harder. I got my first house through a tax deed auction as well and ithought it was a great deal, but later i found out that the house had a $70K lien from code violations! No wonder nobody bided on it! But i was able to reduce the fees significantly and converted into a great rental.

Sergey,

That's great you were able to significantly reduce the fees from a $70K  code enforcement lien  on your first house!  What did you say / how did you negotiate that with the county in Florida to get the fees reduced ?  Were you able to cut it by at least 50% or more?  

Also, I hope you'll keep posting on Bigger Pockets about this house in Haines City, FL...I definitely want to learn how it turns out.

Tricia

You can get rich buying properties like this. 

• Good people have to live in marginal areas.
  • Treat people (tenants and others in the area) right and they will respect you. 
  • Respect your tenants and the property and you will grow a great portfolio of cash houses that will go up in value.
  • Get a stable of these cheap houses and you will discover that in the near future you will be able to do a 1031 exchange for better units or even commercial properties.
  • Put up some sign to find tenants or others that you can negotiate buy like rent program.
  • Do a mailing of every absentee owner in that neighborhood, make offers, ask for seller financing.

A word on Owner Financing --- do not offer interest - do a principal only mortgage, build in an early pay off discount-- put in a substitution of collateral clause and first right of refusal in the mortgage.

Stick to it and you will do well. Your agent did something right.......at these prices you do not need an agent to negotiate your deals in the future.

Don't run out of money, get a credit line, do not take on partners, try not to borrow on your cheap houses.

Good luck.....Charles

Charles ParrishWhat do you recommend for management of the rehab and rental of this type of property?

I agree with your statement that good people have to live in marginal areas. I don't believe that being poor is always a choice, I know it is not an indication that someone is of criminal inclination or incapable of being a decent tenant. Not every section 8 tenant is a horrible person, although my experience is limited and I'm sure the reputation comes from somewhere.

Do you successfully own this asset class from a distance? I'm very interested in learning how you do it as it is a great struggle for me to own from long distance. The team on the ground is crucial and not easy to establish.

Thank you for your input.

I was in a similar situation--bought a cheap house for 10k in a "war zone" in Ft. Myers, FL--started to rehab it, but found out I was putting a lot of effort to get minimal out.  The natives stole a lot of equipment and kept vandalizing with every step of improvement I seem to make.  It is best, if you are going to keep it, keep someone in there the whole time while it is being rehabbed--like yourself, but I understand you are out of state, so that is probably not feasible.  I finally made my exit plan to sell it when the county would not let me repair the roof if I was not going to be living in the house.  I think they were being real hard to investors who were out of county.  I saw what I was up against, found a neighbor who wanted the house...sold it via quitclaim deed so I did not have to go through the cost of a quiet title...took a 5k hit on the deal, and learned not to buy properties like that in the future.  I buy 3/2 or 2/2 in good to decent neighborhoods and rule out that factor when buying through a tax deed.  Though it may seem tantalizing through a low price, it usually costs you in the future.  I would much rather put my efforts into better properties through tax deed auctions.  There is so many other counties, not just in FL, that have better options.  I bought a property in FL, same day as the other one, for 22K--I am getting $700/month in rent now for about a year and put about 25K to fix it.  All in for about $50k and hope to sell it one day for no less than 80k--maybe more.  I would look for investors to assist with your tax deed auction quest, and let them know your strategy and what they will get in return.  Who cares if you are investing in tax deeds, foreclosure, short sales, etc...if the investor is getting a good profit, they should not care.  I explained what I do with a property once acquired via a tax deed, and how they will get paid, and so far, my investor is happy.  So look for any investor, and as long as you have a sound plan and way to pay them that is appetizing, not sure why they would not invest.  Good luck!

Originally posted by @Anthony Yannucci :

I was in a similar situation--bought a cheap house for 10k in a "war zone" in Ft. Myers, FL--started to rehab it, but found out I was putting a lot of effort to get minimal out.  The natives stole a lot of equipment and kept vandalizing with every step of improvement I seem to make.  It is best, if you are going to keep it, keep someone in there the whole time while it is being rehabbed--like yourself, but I understand you are out of state, so that is probably not feasible.  I finally made my exit plan to sell it when the county would not let me repair the roof if I was not going to be living in the house.  I think they were being real hard to investors who were out of county.  I saw what I was up against, found a neighbor who wanted the house...sold it via quitclaim deed so I did not have to go through the cost of a quiet title...took a 5k hit on the deal, and learned not to buy properties like that in the future.  I buy 3/2 or 2/2 in good to decent neighborhoods and rule out that factor when buying through a tax deed.  Though it may seem tantalizing through a low price, it usually costs you in the future.  I would much rather put my efforts into better properties through tax deed auctions.  There is so many other counties, not just in FL, that have better options.  I bought a property in FL, same day as the other one, for 22K--I am getting $700/month in rent now for about a year and put about 25K to fix it.  All in for about $50k and hope to sell it one day for no less than 80k--maybe more.  I would look for investors to assist with your tax deed auction quest, and let them know your strategy and what they will get in return.  Who cares if you are investing in tax deeds, foreclosure, short sales, etc...if the investor is getting a good profit, they should not care.  I explained what I do with a property once acquired via a tax deed, and how they will get paid, and so far, my investor is happy.  So look for any investor, and as long as you have a sound plan and way to pay them that is appetizing, not sure why they would not invest.  Good luck!

Anthony,

thank you for a great advice and sharing your story. 

After analyzing the deal, putting all the numbers together etc I decided to drop the that deal. It was even worse once I started "digging" into due diligence. My contractor did not even want to go to inspect the property - that was another "sign" not to deal with it. Then it turned out the house is occupied = future eviction = more money. Then I checked with code violations department and there's an open case that would start in a week because there's a car on the lot without registration or expired registration. Vioaltion will be $100 per day.  And etc. etc. And i knew that in these areas you need to expect vandalism, stealing and other types of obstacles that cost you extra $. SO i decided to back out even though it cost me $ and they banned me out of the auction for 90 days. I would rather lose i little bit right now rather than more in the future plus additional headache rehabbing and maintaining it. 

Good advice in regards to investors - i agree, why would they care what you invest for if you have a proof record and able to provide good and stable return. I am working on it right now - to find investors/lenders that are not afraid in these types of deals.    

Originally posted by @Anthony Yannucci :

Anthony,

Was it easy to do a sale through a quit claim deed? I would imagine people would not be willing to do that with properties bought through a tax deed auction as there might be clouds on the title, the original owner still has a way to cancel tax deed auction and it's impossible to get title insurance.