Point me in the right direction please!

3 Replies

Here is my situation.  I own a home est. value is 315k and owe 224k with 4% interest. I found a short sale triplex in the area I am interested in. 

They are asking 69k, taxes are 3800, comps are around 150k. Looks like it needs TLC. I have about 15-20k for down payment but I'm also thinking about the equity I already have. I'm thinking to BRRR this property but feel like there are a lot of moving parts.

I figured using 20 bucks a square foot for a reno is about 44k. That would put me at about 113k for a loan. Refinance at 150k ARV and take out what I put in. Any ideas or guidance for me? Thanks!

@Gabriel DeSantis , those numbers look very tight. Even if a HELOC would give you up to 90% of your homes appraisal (say an extra $50k in your pocket), typically, a refi on the rental will only get you back 70% of its appraisal ie. no more than $105k which means NO refi; also, no REPEAT!

Personally, I reckon a 90% HELOC would be asking for trouble down the line too.

And you're already leveraged at more than 70%! Yes, very tight. Others: too tight?...

@Brent Coombs, Hmm maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly. My idea was to HELOC my current home at around 80% which should give me about 28k. Use that 28k as the down payment on a 113k mortgage. Then take the excess 44k for reno. Refi after reno with a est. value of 150k but for a 141k loan and take the excess back to pay off the HELOC.

Thank you for helping me out but does this sound wrong?

Promotion
Motivated Leads
Marketing For Investors…By Investors
We Get Houses For Real Estate Investors
We help investors get more off market deals from distressed sellers.
Learn More

@Gabriel DeSantis , that you already have up to $20k deposit will help; add the $28k HELOC and you'll only need to borrow an extra $65k to cover the balance and rehab (but likely $75k if you don't quite have $20k; and, fees), that's IF the Sellers' Lender agrees to let it go for $69k!

My concern was to do with you spending $113k on a home even though it should appraise at $150k, when for BRRRR, your all-in cost should be no more than $105k in order to be able to get all of your own cash back on refi. You'll be needing an investor-friendly Lender. Good luck!...