• Investor
  • BARRIE, Ontario
Votes |
++Cashflow /w No Appreciation VS Appreciation Markets

Darren Horrocks
  • Investor
  • BARRIE, Ontario
Posted Sep 2 2016, 04:08

I am analyzing new markets in my surrounding area. I am happy /w Barrie, but the massive appreciation is starting to kill the cashflow potential. My current properties are doing good. But future ones...

My question is:
Which market type is better?

1. A market that has excellent population growth, with a mid-high affordability index. Appreciation is high and fast. Demand is high, so winning offers arent frequent. Cashflow is low and in many cases not possible.

VS

2. A market that has a stagnant population /w little growth, low affordability index. No/low appreciation market. SFHs are cheap, and rents are good. Cashflow is high. 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Porcaro
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Long Island, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Long Island, NY
Replied Sep 2 2016, 04:12

Don't buy in hopes of appreciation. That's why 2008 was so bad.

Make sure you have cash flow, even if only just a small amount. A little cash flow and principal purism every year is much better than risking if the market tanks and you're upside on multiple homes.

User Stats

Votes
Oleg Shalumov
  • Teaneck, NJ
Votes |
  • Teaneck, NJ
Replied Sep 2 2016, 05:05

@Darren Horrocks

It depends what you are doing: if you are flipping I would prefer Market1. But if you are investing for long term then Market2 would be more ideal. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Ware
  • Gardiner, ME
Votes |
  • Gardiner, ME
Replied Sep 2 2016, 06:13

I think of it like baseball.

High appreciation is like a home run. it's sexy, you move the bottom line a lot all at once, and you can make a case for getting your money out. The downside is that you can struggle when the market is on the wrong side of buying or selling.

High cashflow is like a base hit. It's not going to impress you friends, much easier to find in any market, it's dependable long term wealth building.

The truth is neither is better. And perhaps a mix will yield the best results. High cashflow for the base of your portfolio that lets you leave your job and opportunistic appreciation plays that jump up your net worth in a few years.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Sep 2 2016, 10:34

Both types of properties carry different pluses and minuses. I always like to say...

Cash flow is how I pay my bills, appreciation is how I build wealth.

So what is your goal? If it is income replacement, then cash flow is the way to go. If you have a good income, and like you job, then maybe appreciation is the way to go.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Arlen Chou
  • Investor
  • Los Altos, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Altos, CA
Replied Sep 2 2016, 10:41

@Darren Horrocks I don't understand why people focus on the either or of cash flow vs appreciation.  As investors we should be running to door #3: BOTH cash flow and appreciation.  This type of market does exist all over the US, look for both pieces of the puzzle, don't settle for one or the other.  Just my 2 cents.

Take it easy,

Arlen

User Stats

Votes
John Thedford#5 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Replied Sep 2 2016, 10:48

are there other Alternatives Investments that can provide good income

User Stats

Votes
Jill Addison
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jun 11 2021, 16:25

@Darren Horrocks I agree with @Arlen Chou: I think it shouldn't be an either or but a both. I think it's definitely possible to buy good properties that cash flow AND appreciate. I used to think about it in this way too as far as trying to decide which was more important. But then it dawned on me that to have good cash flowing properties there has to be demand. To have demand there has to be population growth. When there's population growth there's appreciation. So they really do and probably should go together.