Near University of Buffalo NY

8 Replies

Hi all,

I am looking to invest in college multi family or single house rentals for University of Buffalo. Anyone have insights on the area? Which campus location North or South Campus do students prefer? 

Thanks!

Emily

@Emily Wu the UB area both North and South campus are both great for students.  You will attract different types of students around each campus.  Depending on what you are looking for you will have to evaluate the two areas because they are very different from each other, North campus is in an upper class town about 15 minutes north of the city and South campus is in the city itself,  also the UB medical campus is a more up and coming area in the downtown area.  You have to be careful with South campus and the Medical campus area because there are areas that properties are good for rental and only a block or two away they neighborhoods are very rough and nobody will rent from you.  

Hello Emily, I went to school at UB and I was looking in University at Buffalo student market for rental. Indeed the two campuses are very different. The North Campus has some apartment complexes and villas. You can check some of them at the below website in order to get an idea of the location and prices:  https://subboard.com/och/apartments.asp

On the south campus, as Michael pointed out, you have to be very careful of the street you are looking to purchase. I knew some motivated sellers that were looking in selling some of the duplexes. My advice is to look on the following streets: Highgate, Lisbon and Minnesota. 

Message me if you would like more information..

All the best in your searching.

George

Hey Emily, South campus is a bit different as people above me already stated. My parents own a few properties there and i got normal tenants not students. Mind you our regular tenants are good and they do pay rent. I did hear from a few realtors that you could still get students if you tried but it all depends on exactly where your house is and how far from the southern campus

@Michael Karl thank you for your input!

@George T. that's makes sense since South campus is in the city, there's opportunity for normal tenants!

@George T. r
What are some good street for north of campus?
Sounds like you really know your way around that area!

Won't you have a faster turnover on these as students would come in an go per semester? That means dealing with new tenants or renewing lease every 4 -5 months? Just curious.

Originally posted by @Harri Smith :

Won't you have a faster turnover on these as students would come in an go per semester? That means dealing with new tenants or renewing lease every 4 -5 months? Just curious.

Yes but you rent by the room so your cap rate is much higher. Turn over is higher but the is always demand as campus and big complex rents are a lot higher than living off campus. 

@Alex Aguilar North Campus is not an easy market as the prices are quite high and students like to live in student complexes or houses (such as Sweet Home, Chestnut Villas, etc) . I didn't really find anything that would make sense on the North Side. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.