Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Julio Mallonga
  • Bend, OR
Votes |
Interest rate for an investment property DIFFERENT from PR?

Julio Mallonga
  • Bend, OR
Posted Nov 2 2016, 00:59

Is the interest rate for an investment property DIFFERENT from Primary Residence?

Background: I am a first time home buyer. I have great credit (800's). I have a mortgage lender who was referred to me by my realtor. I asked my realtor to alert me if there were any houses that were in my price range, with the intent of purchasing a house as my primary residence and invest in properties down the line.

However, my realtor found a deal for a house that is (1) $24,500 below the market price for the house, (2) has a renter currently occupying the house, and (3) is in an area that is projected to rise in value. Since the current renters are not people we want to evict, we would keep it this as an investment property.

My primary question is: Is the increased of interest rate on an investment property versus a primary residence standard? Why did the mortgage lender give us an interest rate of 4.75% for 20% DP as an investment property VERSUS giving us an interest rate of 3.625% for 20% DP as primary residence? The mortgage lender also gave us an option to put 25% DP to get a rate of 4.25% if we wanted.

Ideally, I would like advice from an investor from Bend, OR. Honestly, I am happy to tap into the BiggerPockets network. Thank you all in advance!

Loading replies...