Dolores Waldron
  • Medford, MA
Votes |
Need advice on single family deal analysis

Dolores Waldron
  • Medford, MA
Posted Feb 27 2017, 13:11

Hi BP Community,

I am looking at a potential single family investment property that seems interesting but returns seem low with conventional financing (15% down for single family investment property) and wanted to get your thoughts on it as an investment deal:

Asking price 149K

Market Value - @ 190K

Taxes are $3,200 / year

Water/sewer - $600/year

It's currently rented at $1,600 / month

Tenants pay Electricity / gas

It could use some tlc inside - update kitchen cabinets, replace a few older windows - maybe @ 10K but as it stands the tenants seem happy enough with it and the rental income seems typical for that area so making the improvements to the kitchen would not bring in more rent perse. Here is the BP Rental Calculator report, would love to get your thoughts.  The area has slow appreciation but there is some equity going into the deal.  But cash flow of $46.45 and cap rate of 4.84% and cash on cash return of 1.45% doesn't seem great.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/calculators/shared/7136/e4c99347-cdaf-4fbf-9452-88b86b980aa4

Thank you for any input.

User Stats

Votes
Edmund Ricker
  • Gorham, ME
Votes |
  • Gorham, ME
Replied Feb 27 2017, 13:21

@Dolores Waldron

At first glance, the numbers don't look good, but first you have to consider what your goal for this property is.  What are you trying to accomplish?

The cash flow looks pretty meager, but is there any room to raise rents?

Are you really going to pay someone to manage the property?

There is no hard and fast answer. I believe many on BP would pass this one up. I would based on the numbers you have, but what works for one investor doesn't work for another. I think you should set some criteria for what you want your investments to produce and incorporate those criteria with your REI goals in general.

That should help you decide whether or not something is a good investment.

Ed

User Stats

Votes
Dolores Waldron
  • Medford, MA
Votes |
  • Medford, MA
Replied Feb 27 2017, 16:07

@Edmund Ricker, thank you for the input.

The plan for the property is to buy and hold for long term, we would like to see a greater cap rate and cash flow but I think with this particular property the appreciation / rentals may grow at a very slow rate.  I'm curious and maybe this is a question for a bank as it already has some equity in there, if we were to purchase it, could we look to refi after a year and pull out some of the down payment, that way we would be controlling a property with less of our own money and would have a greater cap rate.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.