Moving from Canada to US- Where should I move?

Moving from Canada to US- Where should I move?

Canada · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 3 votes

Hi, my family and I are considering moving to the US.  I work in the Tech industry as an indep. Consultant so it's important that I live closer to a regional airport.  My wife is in health care so it's important the city has a respectable health sector. We are in our mid 40s, have 2 kids are getting ready for high school.  Politically, we consider our selves very liberal, love to be closer to culture and arts. If it makes any difference, we are of Indian nationality but consider our selves a good mix of East/West.  I would love to hear your thoughts on "growing" cities that we should look at?  On a side note, we also want to start investing in properties. Ideally, somewhere close by to our new home.

So far, we've narrowed down my listing to the following states and cities:

1. NC (Raleigh, Caryany others we should look at?)

2. Texas (Huston, any others we should look at?)

3. Atlanta (don't know much about ATL, except we've been told inside the perimeter is what we want to look at)

We are totally opened to suggestions.  We have a year to make the move.

0Reply
94 views

Most Popular Reply

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9y

@Apkesh Kumar , I'd stick more toward the middle of the US if you're traveling for work. It would stink to live on the East Coast, get a consulting job on the West Coast and have a 6-hour plane ride every time you had to go into the office.

Texas is seeing some pretty strong growth, but it's also immense, so there are places you can go, still be near an airport, and invest for cash flow if that's your thing.

The problem with the center of the country is that it runs very red politically. I will say that you can find liberal neighbors anywhere you go, but if this is a huge deal for you, you may want to reconsider moving to a more blue area. There are areas of the country that I would never live in either.

You're coming from Canada, so you know winters. Chicago is a lovely place to live, has many suburbs that offer great investing, and has not one but two major airports. Their winters are harsh, but nothing compared to Canada.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alicia ProkosPro Member
    Developer · Powell, OH · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    I agree with Andrew on Columbus, OH.  The schools here are wonderful, the traffic flows smoothly, and there is a great diversity of people. Healthcare is huge here.  The OSU Wexner Medical Center is one of the best facilities in the country.  Ohio Health, Mt Carmel, and Cardinal Health have their headquarters here. I can't believe how many fantastic ethnic restaurants there are!  High schools in Columbus have a strong sporting as well as academic spirit.  It is easy to meet people, and I know there is a very active and social Indian community here. Columbus is one of the few growing cities in the Midwest, and Ohio in general is ground zero for West coast rental landlords looking out-of-state for a higher return on investment.  Being the state capital, there is a fascinating confluence of politics going on here, especially during presidential elections. Also, Ohio State University ups the ante significantly here on research and intellectualism, and, of course, football.  I have lived in NYC, Boston, Washington DC, and Boca Raton, and I love it here. Here are two recent stories on Columbus you might enjoy. Life here is easy and enjoyable :)

    http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20170314/entlife/170319636/

    http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2017/03/03/schwarzenegger-focusing-on-fitness-and-fun-not.html

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2014 · 161 posts · 116 votes
    9y

    I think what you'll find from this thread is that wherever people live is their favorite city, ha! 

    I am born and raised in Columbus (27 years) and I love the city. I've worked for a few Fortune 500 companies, it's incredibly tech savvy, in my opinion, we have a good state governor in John Kasich, and the rental/real estate market is screaming hot.

    That said, I'm burnt out on the weather (the opposite of a pun intended). For 4-5 months out of the year, it's a barren, sunless wasteland. Sure, the last couple winters have been extremely mild, but Ohio in general is one of the  bottom 5 sun filled states in the US- it gets really, really old.

    Personally, I plan to get to 20 rentals (just acquired my 10th on Friday) and move south, targeting either the Carolina's or Arizona. 

    Best of luck with whatever city you choose! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.