Analysing a 0% Deal with Owner Financing & Traditional Financing

Analysing a 0% Deal with Owner Financing & Traditional Financing

Real Estate Investor · Chalfont, PA · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 1 vote

This involves 2 properties in a pretty affluent area outside of Philly (King of Prussia). The properties are in perfect shape, fully rehabbed in the last 5 years. The are is very desirable and the fair market value of these 2 homes is around 590K.

The seller is older and getting out of the real estate biz. 

  • FMV for both properties together = 590,000
  • Purchase Price: 550,000 to 560,000
  • Traditional Financing: 412,500 (75%) @ 4.625%
  • Seller Financed Amount: 137,500 (25%)
  • Interest rate locked 5yrs/5yrs/5yrs at 4%/5%/6% payments would be $1017/$1087/$1160
  • Security: 2nd position liens against the properties themselves
  • Cash Flow after expenses AND paying the seller's monthly payment = 220/month
  • CAP Rate = 7.32%

Yes, I know the seller is crazy to take a 2nd position lien on the properties... He's ok with it!

I'm really struggling to analyse this deal. I typically would not even look at a property that has a 7% CAP (in my focus area). My portfolio is made up of properties in Philadelphia with an average cap around 10%. The question that I keep coming back to is: Given that I'm essentially buying these 2 properties with 0% down, should I accept the 7.32% cap? Furthermore, my cashflow is a tiny 220/month, 1 month of vacancy and I wipe out 2 years worth of profits. Is this a worthwhile risk given the equity and appreciation I'm gaining? Am I analysing this short term but I should be looking long term? What do you guys think???

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2012 · 320 posts · 115 votes
9y

@Bechara Jaoudeh I think you said it best.

1 month of vacancy and I wipe out 2 years worth of profits

Your answer lies in your question unless you can work out a better deal.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2012 · 320 posts · 115 votes
    9y

    @Bechara Jaoudeh I think you said it best.

    1 month of vacancy and I wipe out 2 years worth of profits

    Your answer lies in your question unless you can work out a better deal.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chalfont, PA · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    @Casey Mericle that's definitely the logical conclusion when analysing the properties for cash flow. With that said, what value do I assign to the fact I'd be getting the 2 properties in an affluent area with 0% down and about 50k of built in equity?
  • Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2012 · 320 posts · 115 votes
    9y

    Sell one of the properties off. Then your cash flow is better. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Chalfont, PA · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    That's a great idea! Thanks 👍
  • Rental Property Investor · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Bechara, if the market is so hot why is the seller willing to take below market price and offer financing at 2nd position. Something smells fishy here. Be very careful you don't buy someone else's problems.

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Bechara Jaoudeh Personal opinion here: you have to analyze deals in a like-for-like fashion. Which, for me, means using 25% as a down payment and either commercial mortgage terms or a standard 30-year fixed-rate scenario. It sounds like when you do that you have 7% vs. 10% on a cap rate. Of course, cap rate is what you use to derive value for a couple of SFRs, comps are. So if these "homes" aren't "commercial multifamily" you really have to look at comps for pricing, "value", etc. But I digress, let's just said it's a different in terms of the return on investment, etc. Whatever that delta is, that's the potential value of owner-financing. Of course he's going to want above-market if he's going to carry a second. That's 1/2 of the value. There are cases when owner-financing makes sense for the owner but most (when they sell) just want "out". They can't sell as their desired price with standard financing. So they offer owner financing to cast a wider net. For you, there is value to that. What I can't tell you is if (for you) that value is worth going from a 10% to a 7% return. It doesn't sound like a good deal to me (based on your assessment) but I don't know the Philadelphia market in the least.
  • Real Estate Investor · Chalfont, PA · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate all the opinions here. I'm still negotiating with the seller....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.