House Hack Success, Quit Job & Ready for Next Deal

House Hack Success, Quit Job & Ready for Next Deal

Flipper/Rehabber · Newark, NJ · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 42 votes

I am happy to share that I have purchased my first real estate investment!

I had been researching and investing in REI programs for quite some time. I knew I had enough information to get started, but my fears were holding me back, so I just kept reading. I made a major move from Maryland to New Jersey and at that point I decided to make the first move and set a goal to purchase my first multi-family property in 1 year. It took me 1 year and 3 months! And now I have quit my job to pursue Real Estate Investing full time and I'm on the hunt for my next deal!

I purchased a 3-unit property in Newark, NJ. I found the property on the MLS. I got a FHA loan for 3.75% and purchased for $260k. This was a turn-key property that was fully occupied. However, the seller had given one of the tenants notice to vacate. This tenant happen to be the one that had not paid rent in several months and was ruining the unit. My husband and I fully renovated that unit and moved in - House Hacking! The other tenants remained! They were paying slightly below market value rents, but we decided not to increase because they had such great history. We do plan to slightly increase next year. With the current rents we are living ALMOST mortgage free.

This allowed me to leave my job to be a full-time real estate investor. I am looking to purchase 10 more units in the next few months. I'd love to connect with others to create win-win situations!

16Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 22 votes
9y
I only ask because I just bought my first house as well. But with the income from my full time job plus the income with my investment property I plan to save then reinvest it all. Which will help me finance more properties. Then once I have my desired cash flow amount per month then I personally plan to quit my full time job.
See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I see so many posts of people quit to take on investing full time, always curious how you are able to find funding for these deals with the loss of documented income? 

  • Investor · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 22 votes
    9y
    Congrats! Question though how do you plan to finance those deals?
  • Investor · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 22 votes
    9y
    I only ask because I just bought my first house as well. But with the income from my full time job plus the income with my investment property I plan to save then reinvest it all. Which will help me finance more properties. Then once I have my desired cash flow amount per month then I personally plan to quit my full time job.
  • Rental Property Investor · Rutherford, NJ · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    Congratulations Jasmine!

  • North Beach, MD · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Congratulations! Good luck!

  • Beloit, WI · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 40 votes
    9y

    congratulations! How exciting for you.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Newark, NJ · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 42 votes
    9y
    Thank you all! Unfortunately, my previous work environment was very toxic and got increasingly worse once they learned I was expecting my first child. My husband and I began saving and set a plan for me to leave the job once we got the house. My husband still works and fortunately makes enough to support us. We are using his income when documented income is necessary. Also, we got a $30k unsecured line of credit for our LLC, which we plan to utilize to purchase our next deal in conjunction with private lenders.
  • Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2017 · 109 posts · 57 votes
    9y
    Matt Katsaris Naeem Boucher my first guess is they will use her husband's income to qualify for financing.
  • Lender · Berkeley, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 549 votes
    9y
    Congratulations to you! I'm up in Newark every other week. Used to work there myself. It's remarkable how far Jersey City has come and where Newark is compared to the days when I played soccer on a field of glass in Ironbound. Yes, glass; not grass. Where are you setting out to invest?
  • Investor · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    That's awesome wish you both nothing but success! It's great when you accomplish the dream together makes things feasible! 

    I'm all for not working in a bad environment! Do what you love not what you have to do! 

    I'm looking to open an LLC maybe can point me in the right direction on that one lol

  • Steph C.Pro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Bristol County, MA · Member since 2010 · 153 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Congrats, @Jazmine Jones. This is great.  Not just investing full time but leaving a toxic work environment. It must be such a relief to leave that job!

    Here's to your continued success!

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Rhiannon Then:

    Matt Katsaris Naeem Boucher my first guess is they will use her husband's income to qualify for financing.

    Well obviously, but even then wouldn't that cut down on the amount you can leverage? Once you get up there in DTI ratio you run out of lenders who'll loan... which I was curious if there was a way around that.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Newark, NJ · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 42 votes
    9y

    @Rhiannon Then Yes, that is absolutely correct!

    @David Weintraub wow, that's amazing. So many locals have shared how drastic the changes have been over the last few years and more change is expected in Newark. I am currently looking for another property in Newark. I'd love to connect with you on one of your visits here!

    @Naeem Boucher I sent you a message. I'd be more than happy to share my experience with you and offer any possible insight. I set up the LLC myself, but I used an advisor to get the unsecured loan.

    @Steph C. HUGE RELIEF! That place drained me mentally. So although we lost that additional income, we gained a clear mind and time to plan and execute our real estate investing goals. Thanks!

  • Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 59 votes
    9y

    Awesome. Congrats!

  • Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2017 · 109 posts · 57 votes
    9y
    Matt Katsaris My family is one income, teacher salary, and we have financed twice, so far. We have excellent credit, despite the fact we have some recently acquired debt. We were able to put low down this last time. The first time was our first home and we put a lot down not knowing anything about leverage. We just refinanced it out.
  • Real Estate Agent · Elmwood Park, NJ · Member since 2015 · 151 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    @Jazmine Outstanding job, I can definitely tell you have the drive and determination so I am sure you will make the 2nd property work. Congratulations, leaving your job.. 

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Rhiannon Then:

    Matt Katsaris My family is one income, teacher salary, and we have financed twice, so far. We have excellent credit, despite the fact we have some recently acquired debt. We were able to put low down this last time. The first time was our first home and we put a lot down not knowing anything about leverage. We just refinanced it out.

    I wasn't talking about the amount of times for refinancing I was talking about the theoretical limit you would have towards acquiring new investments. I was curious to see how people were being able to get credit for rents as income because I've been basically told I had to wait for it to season same with the house to do a cash out refi.  So having a documented income on 1099/w2 with history (even if it was same amount as rents and I could quit for example) would allow me to invest faster and not have to wait for the property/lease to season. Was curious to see if people had a way around that. Again, I ask because she's looking to purchase 10 more units in such a short time frame.

  • Rental Property Investor · NV · Member since 2017 · 63 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    Awesome!!! Congratulations, stories like these keep newbies like me motivated. Hope all goes well for you @Jazmine Jones.

  • Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2017 · 109 posts · 57 votes
    9y
    Matt Katsaris think we are getting lost in translation. If I had the time, I'd explain myself. Hope you get your question answered.
  • Real Estate Agent · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    Awesome story! Congrats!..

  • Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    9y
    Did you have to personally gaurentee your loan? Who was it with? I obtained one for 25k and a business credit card for 25K with a PG.

    Originally posted by @Jazmine Jones:

    @Rhiannon Then Yes, that is absolutely correct!

    @David Weintraub wow, that's amazing. So many locals have shared how drastic the changes have been over the last few years and more change is expected in Newark. I am currently looking for another property in Newark. I'd love to connect with you on one of your visits here!

    @Naeem Boucher I sent you a message. I'd be more than happy to share my experience with you and offer any possible insight. I set up the LLC myself, but I used an advisor to get the unsecured loan.

    @Steph C. HUGE RELIEF! That place drained me mentally. So although we lost that additional income, we gained a clear mind and time to plan and execute our real estate investing goals. Thanks!

  • Property Manager · NJ · Member since 2017 · 786 posts · 396 votes
    9y

    @Jazmine Jones congrats to you both! How accurate was your ARV estimate when the rehab was done? Did you get your ARV info from realtor provided comps, Zillow or some other method? Im looking at Newark for my first BRRRR/House hack but I'm concerned about Appreciation and ARV.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.