David Jensen
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
When to begin ROI Calculations from Primary Residence to Rental

David Jensen
  • Alexandria, VA
Posted Oct 13 2017, 02:52

Hello BP!

I'm in the process of determining the best course of action on my rental property, but to make the most informed decision I need to know how/when to calculate my ROI, Cash on Cash Return, etc. I am utilizing Frank Gallinelli’s What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures” GREAT book, especially for the math challenged like myself.

However I'm struggling with the start point of doing the math.  I don't want to inadvertently skew the numbers.

As background, my rental property was originally my primary residence. I bought at the peak in 2006, immediately became underwater on my mortgage with the rest of America after the crash. I was assigned overseas in 2012, so refinanced my house before I left, and ultimately converted it into a rental property, figuring, naively, as long as the rental payment was larger than my mortgage payment I was good to go!

So when doing the math…Do I consider the original 2006 down payment costs and years of primary residence as part of the calculus on current ROI/ Cash on Cash return, etc…or ONLY the numbers associated with the REFI in 2012 when I converted the primary residence to rental property?

I can provide the actual numbers, but think the fundamental question doesn't require the actual numbers..if i'm wrong i will provide the numbers ASAP.   

I anticipate providing all the numbers under another topic as i am currently barely breaking even on rental payments to mortgage payments and am deciding what to do with my rental property to potentially make a silk purse out of this sow’s ear.

Thanks in advance if you can help me with what i'm assuming is a pretty fundamental question.

Loading replies...