Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
John Parshall
  • Investor
  • Hixson, TN
Votes |
Looking to buy house and owner finance it out. Thoughts?

John Parshall
  • Investor
  • Hixson, TN
Posted Oct 20 2017, 04:45

Wanting some advice from those here that are far more experienced than I am in this area. Here are the basic numbers. I could get the property for 105k. No repairs needed. Currently occupied with tenant paying 1050 a month. There is a family close to me that can not qualify for a loan currently. I would get 5k down from them, and we would sign a contract for them to purchase the house from me. I would do the financing for them. I was looking at an 8% interest only loan. They of course would be responsible for taxes, insurance, and all repairs. They can pay me extra and it would go towards principal, or they could pay the minimum and have no principal paid. I have my primary home paid off, and would be doing HELOC for these funds at around 4.5%. Sale price to them would be for 120k, and they would have 3 years to go through bank and refinance. Is this worth pursuing? I want to help them out, but I want it to make sense for me also. Is it foolish to tie up this money for so long? Are there any other benefits for me that I am not accounting for? Maybe tax benefits or profits from them making interest only payments? I see it as a good opportunity for them to get in a house that they would not be able to otherwise. They can avoid PMI this way and can build credit until they have reached the 80%. Would love to hear thoughts and feedback.

Loading replies...