Help estimating CapEx: Analysis shows $800 for $250,000 4-plex?

Help estimating CapEx: Analysis shows $800 for $250,000 4-plex?

Cambridge, MA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 4 votes

Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to make my first offer on a 4-unit, and my cashflow analysis depends entirely on what I budget for monthly CapEx. My estimate shows around $800 in total CapEx, which amounts to 20-30% of monthly rent, depending on what renovations I make. This seems higher than the typical 5-15% "rule of thumb" people use, so I'd appreciate advice from someone more experienced to see if my attempt to be conservative is overestimating CapEx.

Here are some details on the property: 

  • New England building, 3,000 square feet, built in early 1900s
  •  4-Units: two 3BR/1B, to 1BR/1BA
  • Property has had recent roof and heater replacement, but has had same tenants and little interior work done in 10 years; Class C property in Class B area 
  • Total market rent today of $3300 per month; $4,100 after $80,000 in renovation
  • I assume 10% repair cost before renovations, 5% after renovations 

Here's my CapEx Calculation (with Cashflow analysis on second tab). Can anyone spot any beginner mistakes that I'm making here? 

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 103 votes
8y
Originally posted by @Taylor Thompson:

Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to make my first offer on a 4-unit, and my cashflow analysis depends entirely on what I budget for monthly CapEx. My estimate shows around $800 in total CapEx, which amounts to 20-30% of monthly rent, depending on what renovations I make. This seems higher than the typical 5-15% "rule of thumb" people use, so I'd appreciate advice from someone more experienced to see if my attempt to be conservative is overestimating CapEx.

Here are some details on the property: 

  • New England building, 3,000 square feet, built in early 1900s
  •  4-Units: two 3BR/1B, to 1BR/1BA
  • Property has had recent roof and heater replacement, but has had same tenants and little interior work done in 10 years; Class C property in Class B area 
  • Total market rent today of $3300 per month; $4,100 after $80,000 in renovation
  • I assume 10% repair cost before renovations, 5% after renovations 

Here's my CapEx Calculation (with Cashflow analysis on second tab). Can anyone spot any beginner mistakes that I'm making here? 

For what it's worth, I budget 8% for CapEx and another 8% for routine maintenance. I acquired an 80 unit six months ago and haven't had any issues setting aside a total of 16%. However, the complex was built in the early 90's.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 506 posts · 404 votes
    8y

    No idea, but I'll post to bump up your thread and give it another go around.  Maybe this time someone else will post.  :-)

  • Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 103 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Taylor Thompson:

    Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to make my first offer on a 4-unit, and my cashflow analysis depends entirely on what I budget for monthly CapEx. My estimate shows around $800 in total CapEx, which amounts to 20-30% of monthly rent, depending on what renovations I make. This seems higher than the typical 5-15% "rule of thumb" people use, so I'd appreciate advice from someone more experienced to see if my attempt to be conservative is overestimating CapEx.

    Here are some details on the property: 

    • New England building, 3,000 square feet, built in early 1900s
    •  4-Units: two 3BR/1B, to 1BR/1BA
    • Property has had recent roof and heater replacement, but has had same tenants and little interior work done in 10 years; Class C property in Class B area 
    • Total market rent today of $3300 per month; $4,100 after $80,000 in renovation
    • I assume 10% repair cost before renovations, 5% after renovations 

    Here's my CapEx Calculation (with Cashflow analysis on second tab). Can anyone spot any beginner mistakes that I'm making here? 

    For what it's worth, I budget 8% for CapEx and another 8% for routine maintenance. I acquired an 80 unit six months ago and haven't had any issues setting aside a total of 16%. However, the complex was built in the early 90's.

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Thanks, @Kyle R. and @Jody Schnurrenberger! 

    The most detailed example I've found is from @J. Martin a couple of years ago, which resulted in $130 per unit (10% of rent).

    This analysis was from a more expensive area and came out lower than mine in both % and %.  

  • Lakewood, OH · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    @Taylor Thompson

    Taylor, I'm curious what you decided to do about CapEx for this 4-plex. I'm running into similar problems in Cleveland Ohio.

    Matt

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.