Help me analyze a this deal

2 Replies

Off market condo in class C area with tenant in place on month to month who doesn't want to move. If tenant did vacate unit would require $4-7k to get rent ready.

$230k sale price

Current rent $1675 approx $125 below market.

New roof in 2010 and furnace in 2013.

HOA $145

Tenant pays utilities and owns appliances.

With conservative estimates for PM, Cap X, M & R, plus taxes and insurance it looks like this is going to be a negative cash flow deal even if I raised rents to market value. 

Am I missing something?

What all does the HOA fee cover? If it is all external aspects of the building (roof, siding, AC?), you might not need a conservative CapEx and Maintenance percentage.

What are your "conservative estimates"?

When looking at a property which includes a HOA fee, the CapEx and maintenance are things that you need to take a close look at.

That said, a mortgage payment on this would be close to $1100 per month if you put down 20% - that only leaves $575 per month for your other expenses. Most likely, you are correct that this is a negative cash flow. Hopefully I gave you some other food for thought to help lighten the blow ;)

Originally posted by @Ben Wilkins :

What all does the HOA fee cover? If it is all external aspects of the building (roof, siding, AC?), you might not need a conservative CapEx and Maintenance percentage.

What are your "conservative estimates"?

When looking at a property which includes a HOA fee, the CapEx and maintenance are things that you need to take a close look at.

That said, a mortgage payment on this would be close to $1100 per month if you put down 20% - that only leaves $575 per month for your other expenses. Most likely, you are correct that this is a negative cash flow. Hopefully I gave you some other food for thought to help lighten the blow ;)

The HOA is common areas and nothing more I believe. All my estimates for M&R and such were in the 8-10% ranges and there was no meat left on the bone. Going to keep hunting. Thanks for your insight.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here