Potential First MFH Property

3 Replies

Hi BP Community! This my first post. 

I'm looking at my first potential investment property. It's a duplex in a C class neighborhood.

Below are the expenses:

• Purchase price: $94,000 (conventional financing 25% down w/ 5.375% interest rate)
  • Total Rent: $1,250 (both units are identical 2/1)
  • Taxes: $75
  • Insurance: $8.33
  • Vacancy: $125.00 (10%)
  • Repairs: $63.50 (5%)
  • CapEx: $63.50 (5%)
  • Prop. Mgmt: $125.00 (10%)
  • Tenant Placement: $52.08

Below are the income values:

• NOI: $3,237.64
  • Monthly Cashflow: $269.80
  • CoC: 11.70%
  • How does it compare against the 2% Rule: 1.33%

The property has a new roof, new windows, new A/C in both units and seems move-in ready. It's about 80 minutes from my primary residence. 

What are your thoughts on this property? Is there something else I should be considering? Also, I'm a bit concerned with finding tenants in this area. I checked the local police stats site and this neighborhood has very low reported crime.

Updated 5 months ago

*insurance is 83.33 a month (est $1000 per year)

Heya... quick question. Your insurance is $100 per year? 

Overall, not knowing your market, hard to say. Looks reasonable, though at 1.33%. That just happens to be our minimum. The interest rate seems a bit high. Maybe that's due to the low loan amount? Anyway, keep us posted and I wish you success with this and other properties!

Hi @Stan Hill , thanks for the reply. The insurance amount is $83.33/month.  Do you have pointers on what to look for with respect to class C areas?  Most of the employers in that area are hospitals and utility companies. The median household income in this area is $33k.

Howdy @Jovon Itwaru

Welcome to BP.  First property analysis looks decent.  Here's my 2 bits.

CapEx - I always go in with 10% until I can have the property inspected. I understand it looks move-in ready with some recent updates. But I want to know the current condition and life expectancy of all major components and appliances. The inspection report will allow you to develop a more accurate CapEx reserves requirement.

What are the Rental Market rates for the area?  Any room to increase rents?

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.