Property in Eastern New York

5 Replies

Hi all,

Wanted to get some advice on a 4 unit I found in eastern New York. I would buy this as a house hack with an FHA loan and rent out the other 3 properties. Each unit is 2 bedrooms and 1 bath and based on what I've found it seems like I could rent each unit for around $950.

After running the numbers through my excel sheet it seems close, but I'm still new to analyzing and want to see if anyone can see anything I might be way off on that could swing this into a good deal or swing it to something not even worth pursuing.

Thanks!

Realize the excel might be hard to see. Here is an update.

My initial thought: you are going to have a really difficult time getting $950 in Selkirk. It's not an overly desirable area, and this property is on the main road between 9W and the thruway, so expect a lot of truck traffic. 

@Jeff Senkiw Thanks for the tip! I'm not all that familiar with the area so that is helpful. I'll keep that in mind if I look further.

In Slingerlands, Delmar and Glenmont you could probably get close to $950 per month. Nicer areas, better school district. You could almost draw a line between the three towns. That's where I'd look to start a house-hack. South of those three towns can get questionable. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here