[Calc Review] Help me analyze this deal

[Calc Review] Help me analyze this deal

Ivan ZinginovPro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Skokie, IL · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 5 votes

View report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Ivan and I am a real estate investor based in Chicago IL and so far I have done 4 deals ( 2 SFH and 2 condos). 

I am looking at my first multi family unit that I am planning to buy and hold.   I already negotiated the price form $389K to $370K with one year home warranty.  The buildings has 6 legal units 3 2/1 and 3 1/1 plus 2 car garage and coin laundry.  The building is very well maintained and needs only some cosmetic upgrades. The current rent is low for the market so there is a potential to increase with total of $300 plus the garage is not rented at the moment which is an extra $150 .

I will appreciate any opinion or thoughts!

Regards,

Ivan

0Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    A couple quick ones:

    • Your closing costs are way low unless you know something I don't or the seller is covering your closing. I think you'll be out of pocket around $6k on this deal maybe more.
    • $0 in repair costs is a stretch- especially if you plan to increase rents...you'll need to justify the higher rent and that typically means improving the condition of the property = $$
    • Your upfront equity position isn't great, but it looks like you'll start with a bit of equity...and if you decide to improve condition you can force the value as your NOI increases
    • Boilers are find if they are modern...looks like yours was replaced in 2017- definite positive
    • 5.3% on the loan doesn't look too bad...your DSCR is 1.15 ...most lenders will require this to be 1.2++
    • Vacancy is relative to your local market...not sure 5% is the right number to use or not...
    • I look at CapEx different for year 1 and consider it an up-front out-of-pocket expense...but it looks like your units are in good condition so 5% may be right...maybe high...
    • Water and sewer (and other utilities) seems low to me, but it's specific to the area...and maybe just for common areas?...
    • Management seems low...never seen a reputable firm below 7% of gross rents
    • You have an ARV of $400k, but your analysis says CAP places value at $323K...if the value is $323k, and you pay $370k?
    • Your description is a 3-story on the last page, but describes as "Flats" on the first page?...
    • Your income and expenses are 2%...this is a sum zero game...
    • Property taxes on a six unit are under $800/yr?...that's rare, but it suggests a lot of things about your building...like the condition, assessed valuation, upside potential, etc...I've personally never seen a 6-unit in a good area with taxes that low...
    • Overall, I think your returns look really low, so I would say this is a relative investment...if it's in great condition in a great area, maybe it makes sense...hard to tell much more without the full property information...

    @Ivan Zinginov

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 733 votes
    8y

    Hello @Ivan Zinginov . What are your investing criteria? From the looks of the report, I personally would pass on this deal or significantly negotiate the sales price as it doesn’t pass my criteria of $100/unit cash flow and >12% CoCR. What are your criteria and why are they your criteria?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.