[Calc Review] Six Duplex Deal (Kansas)

9 Replies

I wanted to get the opinion of some experienced small-multifamily investors to see if this looks reasonable.  This deal would be for a total of six duplex (12 doors total) with each unit having 2 beds, 1 bath, 1 "office" in the basement (aka bed with non-compliant egress).  I believe it's reasonable to get $700/mo rent for each of the 12 units.

I don't have a ton of experience with the calculators yet, so I want to make sure I'm on the right track.  A lot of the numbers were added together to treat the entire deal like a single property.  If you want to know where I got a number feel free to ask.  Mostly I want to make sure I didn't leave anything out or underestimate it.  For things like property taxes and insurance I took it from either the county website or a mortgage calculator.

It is also worth noting that this would be for a commercial loan (e.g. 5-year balloon loan), but the amortization would likely be 30 years. 

All 12 units are identical layouts.  Please let me know what you think!

View report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

@Candy Gold In the big picture, yes.  I haven't reached that step yet, but there are a few local investors I plan to contact if I determine this to be a good deal.  Always open to options, though.

@Daniel Rutherford You could avoid having to get into a loan that balloons in 5 years.  Commercial loans are available with 30 year terms and amortization with the rate fixed for the first 3 or 5 years.  Rates will be a little higher than 6% flat after recent hikes.  Depending on where your credit is at 7-8% may be more realistic.  We've recently completed a similar portfolio purchase of contiguous duplexes like this. 

Feel free to reach out anytime.

Best of luck with this purchase!