[Calc Review] Help me analyze this deal in Indianapolis

[Calc Review] Help me analyze this deal in Indianapolis

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes

View report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

Would you buy this deal?   This will be my first out of state deal and I want to get it right.  

The good - solid, low-maintenance tenants currently occupy the property.  I won't have to do any turnover for a little while.  

The bad - they're paying way below market rent, probably $150.  Rent here should be $800+ for a 3 bed in this neighborhood.

I believe I can raise the rent to market over the next couple years.  If the tenants leave, I'll do cosmetic updates for < $10k to get the rent to $800+.

Has anyone here successfully kept good tenants while bringing up the rents to market?

0Reply
23 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Elliot Saks How are you getting a 4.5% interest rate? Are you paying for that lower rate?

    Are you sure about your expenses? Unless you have a good reserve fund, I would bump up the cap ex and repairs expenses.

    If the purchase price is the same as the list price, you might want to lower it and play with the numbers more.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed I can get a low interest rate through my credit union.  Not super concerned about that though, I can go up to 6%.  The loan is going to be so small the impact to the monthly won't be much.

    The building itself looks to be in great shape so I've got expenses fairly low. Doesn't need updates any time soon. I'll put $10k cash aside and access to much more through my HELOC if necessary. Part of the reason I have maintenance and CapEx so low is because the current tenants are low maintenance. Sure, this could change when they leave, but as soon as they leave the rent will increase drastically and give me alot more cushion.

    If I can bump rent to $700 after their current lease is up my COCR is 12%.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.