Go as Big as you Can as Fast as you Can!

Go as Big as you Can as Fast as you Can!

Rental Property Investor · Downey, CA · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 6 votes

Investment Info:

Large multi-family (5+ units) buy & hold investment in Alvin.

Purchase price: $2,150,000
Cash invested: $750,000

40 Unit C-class Garden Style Apartment complex purchased in B/C area with strong economic momentum, operational and physical value add strategies that will realize cash flow and equity growth.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I wanted to build economies of scale to maximize cash flow and profits with as man doors as possible at one address.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I found this deal by calling commercial real estate brokers who specialize in smaller multifamily deals. I had a strong sponsor who's track record I Ieveraged to impress upon the broker that I can close. We performed due diligence on the property and successfully negotiated a $40K repair credit from the seller. We closed when we said we would 90 days later for a smooth transaction.

How did you finance this deal?

We got a Freddie Mac small balance loan with 25% down, 30 year amortization, 5 year term with 1st year interest only at 4.85%.

How did you add value to the deal?

We took advantage of economic momentum, operational and physical value plays.

What was the outcome?

We are turning those value plays into enhanced net operating income forcing asset appreciation and value upon exit at end of year 5.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Don't delay value added strategies. Implement value added strategies right away or enhanced net operating income and value will be delayed.

2Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Boise/Portland · Member since 2017 · 709 posts · 742 votes
7y

Kudos on your investment.  However, I'm not so sure that your “Go as Big as you Can as Fast as you Can!" is an equitable approach to REI especially when there are variables on the other side of the equal sign. Goes pretty much against most of the advice I've read on BP. But good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Thornton, PA · Member since 2014 · 106 posts · 56 votes
    7y

    Congratulations. Was the asset off market when you purchased it from the seller?

  • Rental Property Investor · Downey, CA · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Hi Kevin!  Thank you!  Yes it was off market.  Called quite a few brokers and built relationship with a the one who broker the this deal.  Always looking for more!

  • Lender · Thornton, PA · Member since 2014 · 106 posts · 56 votes
    7y

    Hi Stevan, Good luck on the next one as well

  • Rental Property Investor · Boise/Portland · Member since 2017 · 709 posts · 742 votes
    7y

    Kudos on your investment.  However, I'm not so sure that your “Go as Big as you Can as Fast as you Can!" is an equitable approach to REI especially when there are variables on the other side of the equal sign. Goes pretty much against most of the advice I've read on BP. But good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Downey, CA · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Thanks Matthew.  I started small with single family investments but love the economies of scale that multifamily offers and for a bout the same amount of work regarding acquisition and asset management.   Now that I know both sides of the equation, big and small, my personal preference will continue to be geared towards bigger deals.  Just sharing my experiences as I continue to evolve as an investor and with so many ways to profit from real estate it all comes down to ones preference and style.  I personally feel that it doesn't matter what you do as long as you are doing something but at this point in my career I would still say "Go as Big as you Can as Fast as you Can!"

    thank you and best of luck to wherever your path leads, big or small!

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 138 posts · 51 votes
    7y
    @Stevan Garcia Congrats! Can you share more about the numbers? I would be great to see current cash flow and expected.
  • Rental Property Investor · Downey, CA · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Sorry for the delay.  Just quickly put this together @. Short by 1% so far on the projected return of 6.1%. however, we have completed all our value added capital improvements and have lots of momentum in the market. Houston added the most jobs in the US in 2018 and consistently adds population at double the national growth rate. As a result we have see a gradual uptick in occupancy and rents since acquiring the property. Over next 12 months projected to hit about $190K Net Op Income. This is the cool thing about apartments as income determines value. If CAP rates hold at about 6.5% then we could exit at $2,923,077. We acquired property for $2,150,000 with $40K repair credit. $2,923,077-($2,150,000-$40,000)= $813,077 of Equity created or 108% return on equity in just 2.5 years! And that doesn't even include cash Flow! I could never create that kind of wealth for myself (or others) with my single family rentals. I have made more friends with multifamily since now I can share the benefits with many others. With single family I feel selfish as it only benefits me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.