Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Lior Dolinski
Votes |
is there a platform which connects all the data?

Lior Dolinski
Posted Feb 26 2019, 04:58

It's pretty hard to keep track with all the different platforms, offerings, websites, and their track record.

(Both in RE crowdfunding sites, and general sponsors which are offering opportunities)

Is there any platform you know which sort of "aggregates" all the different investments? In the same fashion that Trivago is collecting every offer from sites like bookings, etc.?

Wouldn't you want to use a tool which summarizes everything for you with analytics, a track record of the different companies, portfolio manager etc?

Would be happy to know if such a product exists and if it doesn't, to know which tools you guys are using in your investment process in order to analyze data and make your decisions? I'm tired of using excel sheets..

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Jon Crosby
  • Investor
  • Rocklin, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rocklin, CA
Replied Feb 26 2019, 09:24

Hi @Lior Dolinski, this is just my 2 cents off the top of my head so take it for what it's worth.  : ) 

I think the solution you are thinking of would be a 2-edge sword of sorts.  For one, investment sponsors would need to disclose their data in order to have something to aggregate against and most sponsors themselves are not using state of the art data capturing and portal interfaces yet.  Just from my experience, only about 1/2 of my private equity investments are using anything greater than Excel/Sharepoint to manage their investments.  

Then, for those sponsors not particular 'proud' of their returns they would opt-out and you will be left with an incomplete data set to truly aggregate against. 

I think you would need to somehow connect to the SEC data and use advance machine learning to go thru and parse all the documentation required by sponsors to the SEC (articles of inc., etc.) if you wanted to capture all available investments and then you would still be short their track record/results in the end.  You would need some type of way for them to submit those results (or tie to another 3rd party site they are already submitting to) almost in a Zillow like fashion.  

I think as the crowdfunding sites grow, they will eventually hit a 'consolidation' wave where one or two buy out the rest and then you will be in a competitive oligopoly to which you could see all those metrics you want in just a few sites....maybe, someday? Who knows... :)

Cheers

User Stats

Votes
Ian Ippolito
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Feb 26 2019, 12:19

@Lior Dolinski, Generally accredited investor funds are reluctant to disclose this kind of info to the public. In some cases the legal regulations prohibit it. In others the firms prefer to keep their info close to the vest.

The non accredited funds register a lot of info (although not all) info with the SEC. So there is some info there.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Lior Dolinski
Votes |
Replied Feb 27 2019, 03:32

Hey, @Jon Crosby Thanks for the great response,  very interesting analysis. Regarding the SEC, is this data public? Can I as an individual review all of it freely?

Also, do you include platforms like 'Crowdstreet' or 'RealCrowd' when saying "sponsors?"

Best,

Lior

User Stats

Votes
Jon Crosby
  • Investor
  • Rocklin, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rocklin, CA
Replied Feb 27 2019, 11:55

Hi @Lior Dolinski, yes the SEC filings are public, here is a the search console for their database.  https://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/companysearc...

Crowdstreet and sites like those I believe run both sides of the coin, they facilitate syndication for sponsors and some do their own syndications as well I believe.  

User Stats

Votes
Tom Ott
  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Feb 27 2019, 12:26
Originally posted by @Lior Dolinski:

It's pretty hard to keep track with all the different platforms, offerings, websites, and their track record.

(Both in RE crowdfunding sites, and general sponsors which are offering opportunities)

Is there any platform you know which sort of "aggregates" all the different investments? In the same fashion that Trivago is collecting every offer from sites like bookings, etc.?

Wouldn't you want to use a tool which summarizes everything for you with analytics, a track record of the different companies, portfolio manager etc?

Would be happy to know if such a product exists and if it doesn't, to know which tools you guys are using in your investment process in order to analyze data and make your decisions? I'm tired of using excel sheets..

Thank you

You can find any funds we file with the SEC online. They should be public. In terms of deal information, I would assume it is on the company's website, or dashboard. 

Account Closed
  • Lender
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Pensacola, FL
Replied Feb 27 2019, 12:49
Originally posted by @Jon Crosby:

Hi @Lior Dolinski, yes the SEC filings are public, here is a the search console for their database.  https://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/companysearc...

Crowdstreet and sites like those I believe run both sides of the coin, they facilitate syndication for sponsors and some do their own syndications as well I believe.  

Check out Disclosure Quest.  It's not a perfect solution, but it's the best one I've found so far.  Their related site is Crowdfund Insider which tries to cover the news and trends.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Crosby
  • Investor
  • Rocklin, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rocklin, CA
Replied Feb 27 2019, 16:18

Thanks @Account Closed, this is exactly the sort of thing I was envisioning when I mentioned it above! Good find!  :)

Account Closed
  • Lender
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Pensacola, FL
Replied Feb 28 2019, 05:22

@Jon Crosby

The details of a Reg CF offering can be found on funding portals regulated by FINRA. I believe any licensed broker dealer firm can also list Reg CF offerings, but this alternative is rare. The number of these funding portals has mushroomed since the SEC first authorized them in 2015 and consolidation is inevitable in the coming years.