Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Annchen Knodt
  • Investor
  • Durham NC (and Brenham, TX)
Votes |
Advice on a potential house hack with a 5BR SFR in Durham NC

Annchen Knodt
  • Investor
  • Durham NC (and Brenham, TX)
Posted Aug 13 2019, 05:27

Hi everyone,

I'm getting started in REI though I currently rent my primary residence, a 5BR 2800 sqft single family home (built in 2006) in a nice neighborhood in Durham NC (Hope Valley Farms) that I split with 3 other roommates. The owner of the home just let me know that he's decided to sell, and has given me the chance to make an offer before putting it on the market.

I estimate that the market value is around $300k (fairly confident in this estimate bc a nearly identical comp nearby just sold for $307 with just a few small improvements).  So if he sells to me directly I estimate he saves ~$18k in agent commissions. From there, my guess is that $280k is likely close to the lowest price he would accept from me.  At that price, when I run the numbers the result suggests that I'd generally break even:

• Taxes/insurance/HOA: $450
  • Reserves for vacancy/repairs/capEx/management: $500 (i'm using 7%/5%/5%/8% for these respectively)
  • Mortgage: $1025 (this is based on a 30-year fixed primary-residence loan at 3.625% with 20% down through a credit union I bank with)
  • TOTAL expenses: $1975
  • Rent: $1985

I just LOVE the idea of house-hacking, and it would be amazing if this proved to be a good move.  My main reservations about going through with it are:

1. There's a large crack in the flooring shortly after you walk through the door to the house. The wood laminate flooring panels are coming apart for a stretch of around 20ft, and in some places the gap between the panels is over 1/4" and through it you can see a corresponding crack in the slab underneath. The owner has said that he has good insurance and can easily get that taken care of before the sale.  I'm not sure it's as simple as that, but he seems very confident…  Otherwise, the house is in good shape.
  2. The market in Durham is super hot right now! It seems like if I buy anything here now, I'm very much likely to over-pay
  3. I estimate that this would require at least $60k to close on.  That's a lot of cash to leave in a break-even deal and not have for other investments!

I would love to hear any thoughts that folks familiar with the Durham market or with large SFR investment properties in general have on this potential deal. Thank you very much!

Annchen

Loading replies...