Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Jay Mat
Votes |
How to calculate capex?

Jay Mat
Posted Feb 13 2020, 22:48

Hi, I would like to hear from you how you calculate capex. Do you actually go and check all the possible expenses? Do you call contractors to find out how much they will charge for a new roof? Same is with the plumbers, electrician etc. or is there an easier way to do this?

User Stats

Votes
Tim Herman
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 14 2020, 03:38

@Jay Mat the most accurate way is to calculate each house. There is a spreadsheet in the files section called cap ex by @ Sam Tato. I use a minimum of 10% at $1k rents. I want to have at least $250 per month that includes vacancy, repairs and capex going into an account.

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth Garrett
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida Panhandle/Illinois
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Florida Panhandle/Illinois
Replied Feb 14 2020, 03:55

@Jay Mat

I developed a capex spread sheet based on information from numerous sources and my own experiences. It's based on replacement cost, lifespan of appliances, roofs, windows, electric, plumbing, HVAC, etc., cost per year and cost per month. It's just under $200/month. Read David Greene book on BRRRR. It will help in many ways.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jay Mat
Votes |
Replied Feb 16 2020, 10:49

Thanks for the useful commends!