Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Quinton C.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Triplex Rehab, Refinance, and Hold Case Study

Quinton C.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jul 29 2020, 19:37

I have been working through this analysis, I am very new and have 0 investment properties.

This is a property that has been on the market for 6mo. My goal is to come up with a strike price to put on the table, though I do not think the seller is motivated. Property is located in Janesville, Wisconsin and is triple digit old and a case study for how to defer maintenance on everything though currently occupied. My plan is to prioritize building envelope and do minimal interior work to stabilize property value, submeter electricity, and add RUBS fee to recoup utility cost.

1. Ask Price: 120k
  2. Bid Price: 99k
  3. ARV: 165k (possibly more, this is a comfortable number)
  4. Rent: $2040 (currently rented numbers, includes all utilities)
  5. Repair: 47.3k
    1. Roof Repair: 6k
    2. Gutters, Fascia: 3k
    3. New Siding (whole building): 8k
    4. Grading: 1.5k
    5. Misc. Trim: 0.5k
    6. Full Interior Paint: 4.2k
    7. New Carpet: 4.2k
    8. Deep Clean: 1.2k
    9. Full Replace of Knob+Tube electric: 10k(+)
    10. 20% Contingency
  6. Near Future Repairs
    1. New windows
    2. Full roof replace likely in near future
    3. Pieces of interiors need updating due to wear- shower stalls, some cabinets, etc.

Risks:

1. 1. Analysis depends on being able to recoup most of the cost of utilities while maintaining existing rent. I think this is possible with market rents but everything really hinges on this.
  2. 2. Contractors in the area are currently very busy, it may be difficult to manage this breadth of scope on a reasonable schedule.
  3. 3. The property is very poorly maintained, there are likely to be many other surprises along the way. My repair estimate is almost certainly on the low side of all that could be done. There are signs of water damage on the interior, I would just be painting over this for time being.
  4. 4. This doesn’t meet 70% rule, though plan is not to flip but hold.
  5. 5. Analysis assumes I can refinance at 70% LTV, and that what I will put in will get it to full ARV. Not terrible if I can't get this.
  6. 6. This would be my first property, I am out of state but have a personal contact in the area to check in.

I am hoping someone will pick this apart and give some feedback!

image.png

Loading replies...