Help analyze this Cape Coral, FL New Construction (Buy and Hold)

Help analyze this Cape Coral, FL New Construction (Buy and Hold)

Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Anyone have in depth knowledge of the Florida and Cape Coral markets? I had been planning to buy my first property to get my feet wet and was looking for an easier turnkey property, but I came across an interesting new construction deal where the lender was offering just 10% down. The numbers aren't amazing, but seems Cape Coral (33993) area might have a decent chance at an equity play with higher than normal appreciation values which may be a bonus. Few other advantages I see:

  • New construction should mean less hassle and lower expenses which may be more suitable for a first property
  • The house costs $220k and the lot is just $10k, so depreciation should provide a great tax write-off
  • I actually love Florida and wouldn't mind visiting when the place is vacant
  • 10% down makes the CoC rate pretty decent, and unlocks a lot higher value property

I'd be happy to pay a consulting fee to connect to someone in the area who could help advise on this, or help think through any Florida specifics since the market is new to me.

I suspect the cash flow in this example proforma is inflated. I'm assuming the rent value would come in closer to the lower end of the deal, especially if Covid is still raging. First year owning the property probably wouldn't be great performance. I suspect the vacancy rate is also closer to 7%, as this is something I read in a few articles from last year.

A few other things I'm doing:

  • Scheduling a meeting with a property manager to get their opinion on the property and get a sense for what they might price the rental value at. I'm also interested in property management recommendations.
  • Scheduled a meeting with a CPA in in my area that is active on BP and came highly recommended from other investors. Hoping to plan our LLC structure and get a sense for Florida specific issues, taxes related to new construction, and how to plan ahead for when I own 3, 5, or 10 properties.
1Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 17 votes
5y
Andrew, I will preface the balance of my comments by stating I considered myself a novice investor and don't have an "in-depth" knowledge of the Cape Coral area. That said, I have (and am) investing in several Florida markets purcshing new construction including SW FL. My comments may draw criticism from those who have much more experience, but here are my thoughts just the same. 1) Due diligence. I know many seasoned investors say you can invest from out of state drawing all the requisite data you need from the Internet. As a novice, I find it incredibly useful to do my own on-the-ground due diligence. If you're willing to buy a $220K home on the other side of the country, why not spend $500 to fly there, get a rental car and hotel for 2 days, and investigate the area? I have learned a lot doing this. In most cases, it validated the seller's/builder's claims, in others, it yielded information that wouldn't have shown up on the Internet; information that steered me away from the investment. 2) Paying for sound advice. I'll be the first to concur that paying for sound advice is a good investment, but be discerning in whom you pay. Even with new construction, we always pay an independent home inspector and an attorney to review closing docs. Again, I've had many people tell me both these steps are unnecessary, but I can assure you it has paid off tremendously. That said, you can ascertain much of what you need from your own due diligence and information resources on the Internet. Don't pay for information that is readily available for free. 3) Rates of return. As you point out, the builder's proformas are often positively skewed, but you can easily validate or challenge them through Internet research. For example (not to state the obvious), comparable rents are available on countless RE sites, taxes can be estimated by finding a comparable property in the neighborhood on the country tax page, and insurance quotes can be easily requested. The insurance rate for the property you cited seems a bit low for a home in a coastal area. Also, two things I didn't see you mention were PMI if you're not putting 20% down as well as the possibility of flood insurance which may be required by the lender. So those are my thoughts. I hope they complement your research. Feel free to PM if you have other questions about my experience in FL (overwhelmingly positive). Matt
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stetson MillerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2019 · 576 posts · 423 votes
    5y

    Hi @Andrew Craswell,

    I would be more than happy to help answer all these questions. Feel free to send me an email or a message and we can discuss further

  • Real Estate Broker · FL · Member since 2018 · 149 posts · 96 votes
    5y

    Hello @Andrew Craswell,

    Great question. I can't comment too much publicly as my team does quite a bit of build-to-rent ourselves. You are definitely thinking about this the right way. Some may be inflated and you might have an opportunity to reduce some of your costs but you're not too far off. The reason to buy new construction is to keep more of your money and reduce brain damage. As Cape Coral continues to fill up we can anticipate some excellent appreciation as an added bonus.  

    Please advise if I can provide any further assistance. - Thanks!

  • Investor · Ellington, CT · Member since 2012 · 60 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    Hi Andrew, where did you get numbers for taxes and insurance? Owning several houses in Cape Coral, they seem low.  Will you need flood insurance?

  • Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 17 votes
    5y
    Andrew, I will preface the balance of my comments by stating I considered myself a novice investor and don't have an "in-depth" knowledge of the Cape Coral area. That said, I have (and am) investing in several Florida markets purcshing new construction including SW FL. My comments may draw criticism from those who have much more experience, but here are my thoughts just the same. 1) Due diligence. I know many seasoned investors say you can invest from out of state drawing all the requisite data you need from the Internet. As a novice, I find it incredibly useful to do my own on-the-ground due diligence. If you're willing to buy a $220K home on the other side of the country, why not spend $500 to fly there, get a rental car and hotel for 2 days, and investigate the area? I have learned a lot doing this. In most cases, it validated the seller's/builder's claims, in others, it yielded information that wouldn't have shown up on the Internet; information that steered me away from the investment. 2) Paying for sound advice. I'll be the first to concur that paying for sound advice is a good investment, but be discerning in whom you pay. Even with new construction, we always pay an independent home inspector and an attorney to review closing docs. Again, I've had many people tell me both these steps are unnecessary, but I can assure you it has paid off tremendously. That said, you can ascertain much of what you need from your own due diligence and information resources on the Internet. Don't pay for information that is readily available for free. 3) Rates of return. As you point out, the builder's proformas are often positively skewed, but you can easily validate or challenge them through Internet research. For example (not to state the obvious), comparable rents are available on countless RE sites, taxes can be estimated by finding a comparable property in the neighborhood on the country tax page, and insurance quotes can be easily requested. The insurance rate for the property you cited seems a bit low for a home in a coastal area. Also, two things I didn't see you mention were PMI if you're not putting 20% down as well as the possibility of flood insurance which may be required by the lender. So those are my thoughts. I hope they complement your research. Feel free to PM if you have other questions about my experience in FL (overwhelmingly positive). Matt
  • Investor · Ellington, CT · Member since 2012 · 60 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    You can calculate taxes here

    https://www.leepa.org/taxestim...

    But these don’t include ad valorem taxes or assessments.

    Outstanding assessments can be found here

    https://capegis.maps.arcgis.co...

  • Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 17 votes
    5y
    @Terry Fox, thanks for sharing the property appraiser's site. I also use this source (constantly). The only problem is that it's hard to estimate what the county will value A new construction property at. You can use the purchase price (much higher than what the county will appraise it at) and you will be erring on the side of caution. I try to find a comparable property in close proximity to get a more accurate figure.
  • Investor · Ellington, CT · Member since 2012 · 60 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    Just found this site too

    https://www.capecoral.net/gove...


    Don’t know if any better for new construction though.

  • Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Thanks for the input everyone! I met with a few people 1:1 based on the discussion here, and the info was really helpful. Wanted to give a big shout out to @Alvin Taveras who helped analyze the deal and gave some great insights into the market. He's got a great network in the area, I recommend if others are interested they reach out to him. With his help I ended up finding a bit of a better deal, 200sqft larger for just a little under the same price. Just went under contract and the process was really smooth :)

  • Real Estate Broker · FL · Member since 2018 · 149 posts · 96 votes
    5y

    @Andrew Craswell thanks for the shoutout. I greatly appreciate it. 

    You were going down the right path and I'm happy that I was able to show you some options that you weren't yet aware of. We also improved the completion date from "unknown" to just a "few months". Now let's get some tenants in this first one and go buy the next one! lol

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.