[Calc Review] Help me analyze this deal

1 Reply

View report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

This is the first time I'm posting a report. This is a rare property that I have found to work out well for a house hack. Most others just break even or are slightly negative. At the moment, this particular property is Pending. I just wanted to post my practice analysis up for comment. Any feedback is certainly welcome. Thank you.

@Andrew S. , I assume you are self managing the property, hence the no management fee in your financials.  While managing a single property is not very challenging, it is work from time to time.  If you paid a management company, you are probably cash flow neutral for the 10% management fee and leasing commissions.  But depending on your other investment options, i.e. buying some stock, you are not getting an apples to apples comparison, since you have to actively work your real estate and don't need to actively work investing in stocks (or at least in the same manner).

Now, on to your assumptions: insurance seems a touch light, but not dramatic.  I pay about $100/month.  If this number is coming from a quote from your insurance agent, disregard my comment.

Same with Real Estate Taxes, if you haven't calculated the tax bill based on your purchase price, you need to.

Vacancy seems normal, and might be slightly conservative if this is a single family.  

Repairs and CAPEX are very much contingent on the property and current condition. CAPEX specifically, is low, if you underwrite how I do, which is reserve for estimated replacement cost over useful life: i.e. a new roof has a 25 yr life and costs $6,000. That's $20/mo, HVAC $5k over 15 yrs, Water heater 1k over 10 yrs, appliances, fencing, retaining walls, exterior paint, etc. The big ones are kitchen remodel, which needs done to maintain top rents about every 15 years, and often costs about $15k for a reasonable sized kitchen in a single family with nicer materials and new appliances. As others noted, if you don't do it, you can still rent the place, but not at top rents, and when you sell, you will get hit in value for not having an updated kitchen and baths.

Back to your analysis, you need to take an assessment of current condition of every item and system in the property: you will likely have some immediate capital items, year 1 capital, year 2, etc.  From there you can either build those into your cost and how much capital you need up front, and/or it will give you an idea of how much you need to reserve to make sure you have the capital when that item is estimated to need replaced.  I.e. if the roof has 5 years left, and costs $6k, you need $100/mo reserved just to have the funds available, on top of any other expenses.