Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes

Kansas City Sewerline Access Issue

Posted Jul 28 2021, 07:56

I am currently under contract for a property in Kansas City built in 1957, recently rehabbed which I have had undergo a home inspection, inspection by Structural engineer and most recently a plumber inspector as the home inspector was originally unable to access the sewerline from outside of the house and was not licensed to remove the toilet so he suggested having a plumber inspect the sewer line. The plumber went to the property and encountered an issue where he too couldn’t access the stack line and found no outside clean out and said to gain access to vent he would likely have to make cutouts in the wall between the bathroom and the adjacent bedroom. He said for the extent that his camera could go he could see there was a lot of cast iron debri

He suggested that I shouldn’t proceed unless the seller of the property can create access to the stack line (clean out in the bathroom wall) or install a clean out outside for external access rather than having to rip out the toilet each time there’s an issue. At this time because there’s no access I don’t know the full condition of the line. As it starts out as cast iron (then likely clay line outside) I’ve been researching that eventually these will have to get replaced at some point to PVC if cleaning maintenance hasn’t been done or if some other damage to the Line occurs, I wasn’t provided a quote as he again couldn’t get outside access to view. This is making me apprehensive to buy but wanted to know what negotiating points I can make with the seller to resolve this issue before it becomes a bigger one down the line. Any insight would be greatly appreciated !

Loading replies...