Was the Sellers Agent Ethical or not?

Was the Sellers Agent Ethical or not?

Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 0 votes

So we were under contract for a house. Our closing date got pushed. My realtor had us sign extensions and sent them to the sellers agent. I believe they signed one of them. But the closing date got pushed 2 more times and both times we signed and they got sent over to sellers agent.

However the agent never told the sellers and they never signed. Our loan ended up falling through and the sellers agent sent me a contact for a lady who works at a bank who is good at “rescuing loans” I called that lady and I also called Amerisave where a close friend is a LO.

Within one day I was in underwriting and moving quickly with Amerisave. The other lady took 2 days to call me back. She was moving very slow. I continue to work with my LO at Amerisave up until they ask for the extension for the purchase agreement. My realtor reached out to the sellers agent and the sellers agent said she would not pass on the extension to be signed UNLESS I used her contact at the other bank.. even though I felt that was unethical/illegal for someone to be telling me/strong arming me into using a lender I wasn’t comfortable with I still decided to try to go through her contact just to keep her happy.

Needless to say her contact continued to take a long time to get the process started and I ended up losing the house today because they took another offer. 

Mind you no termination has been signed. We have a contract it’s just out of date because she refused to send it to the sellers to sign unless we used her friend/loan officer. 

I am furious with my realtor for not staying on top of the sellers agent about past extensions being signed. And I feel wronged/violated by being forced to use a lender I wasn’t comfortable with. 

Is this legal? Do I have a right to be upset at both of them for screwing me out of my dream house?

0Reply
60 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
4y
Quote from @James Wise:
Quote from @Catherine R.:
Quote from @Russell Brazil:
Quote from @Catherine R.:
Quote from @Russell Brazil:

You are in default of the contract. No one is forcing you to use their lender. They are giving you a second chance after you defaulted to save the deal. They could simply say no extension and move on to the next buyer, which is what I would have done.

By saying the only way we will sign an extension is if you use this bank is absolutely forcing me to use their lender… 


 No it's not. You are free to walk away and should be greatful they are giving you a second opportunity. You are completely ignoring the fact that you defaulted on the contract.

I should be grateful? Your mentality is gross. Have a good one. Thanks for the input!

He is correct. You should be grateful. You screwed the sale up, not the seller. The market is hot and you were given an olive branch by the seller and their agent. I presume the reason for this, was they knew that lender would shoot them straight on you. Seller was being prudent wanting a shaky buyer to work with a lender they were familiar with. 

At the end of the day, even with that lender they wanted to use, you still lost the house so it's fairly clear here that the issue is what both lenders discovered during underwriting you, your credit, income etc. So in reality, if said seller came on here and was all upset about a buyer who dragged them along for several months without ever closing on the house, most people would understand why they have a bone to pick with you, not the other way around.


Ditto on Rocket. As a seller if I have two offers that are identical, except for one using Rocket and another using a lender whom I know can get to the closing table, I ain't going with Rocket...........And folks, that ain't unethical. It's prudent. 
See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    This sounds like your Realtor (and possibly others) have acted unprofessionally.....but S**T happens, part of life and certainly part of the RE game. 

    Just roll with it and do the best that YOU can, That's all that you can control.

    And if it doesn't work out, then there will be another house out there for you.....it might even be a better fit....?

  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    The short of it is, you needed a loan to buy the place.  If the lender you chose was unable to get your loan done (assuming you qualified) you were always at risk of losing the property.

    You have a right to be annoyed with your agent for not pestering the seller's agent about the extension.  She should have at least given you some feedback.  However, the seller was under no obligation whatsoever to sign the extension.  If they had lost confidence in your ability to close, I could see why they wanted to use lenders with whom they have a relationship. 

    Keep in mind that with interest rates rising, they would have been better off having sold it to you.  They probably would have been very happy to sell to you, even with a delay.  However  If they completely lost confidence in your ability to close, without a valid contract, they were within their rights to move on.  Last thing they want is to be strung out for weeks and weeks, hoping for a closing.

    About 3 years ago I had a similar problem with a buyer that didn't speak English and did not understand the loan process.  I had to call the sellers agent and threaten to kill the deal before she got off her rear and helped her buyers submit the proper paperwork to the lender.

  • Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Greg Scott:

    The short of it is, you needed a loan to buy the place.  If the lender you chose was unable to get your loan done (assuming you qualified) you were always at risk of losing the property.

    You have a right to be annoyed with your agent for not pestering the seller's agent about the extension.  She should have at least given you some feedback.  However, the seller was under no obligation whatsoever to sign the extension.  If they had lost confidence in your ability to close, I could see why they wanted to use lenders with whom they have a relationship. 

    Keep in mind that with interest rates rising, they would have been better off having sold it to you.  They probably would have been very happy to sell to you, even with a delay.  However  If they completely lost confidence in your ability to close, without a valid contract, they were within their rights to move on.  Last thing they want is to be strung out for weeks and weeks, hoping for a closing.

    About 3 years ago I had a similar problem with a buyer that didn't speak English and did not understand the loan process.  I had to call the sellers agent and threaten to kill the deal before she got off her rear and helped her buyers submit the proper paperwork to the lender.

    I guess what I don’t understand is why they prevented me from getting a loan. Amerisave had me almost entirely through the process the day the other bank denied us (which is a whole other story. Bad bank.) had they just signed and let me go through Amerisave instead of the person she knew. Which I’m sorry is still unethical to tell someone we will ONLY sign if you use this bank. Because it’s MY money and I should be able to be comfortable with the lender I choose. 
  • Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    This sounds like your Realtor (and possibly others) have acted unprofessionally.....but S**T happens, part of life and certainly part of the RE game. 

    Just roll with it and do the best that YOU can, That's all that you can control.

    And if it doesn't work out, then there will be another house out there for you.....it might even be a better fit....?

    I suppose sh*t happens. And I am trying to think of this as a sign it wasn’t the right house. But also I feel I should be able to hold those accountable for not doing their jobs properly or ethically. 
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    That would be nice....but did they do anything illegal?

    And it's true that it's YOUR money and you should be able to choose YOUR lender.....but it is THEIR house and they should be able to choose also....
  • Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    That would be nice....but did they do anything illegal?

    And it's true that it's YOUR money and you should be able to choose YOUR lender.....but it is THEIR house and they should be able to choose also....
    I suppose not illegal but it is unethical after I read through the realtor ethics. 

    I actually have another question for you. We made renovations to the house as the sellers originally offered to rent it to us until we got a loan. (That obviously didn’t happen) we ended up painting building and moving our things in. 

    we obviously are going back to get all of our belongings which have been in the house for a week now that’s been on the market. 

    but we also built a fence to pass the VA appraisal. We used our money/materials/labor (my husband) are we rightfully allowed to dismantle the fence? I feel like it’s in a gray area but honestly I’m mad and I don’t want people profiting off of screwing us over. 
  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Catherine R.:

    So we were under contract for a house. Our closing date got pushed. My realtor had us sign extensions and sent them to the sellers agent. I believe they signed one of them. But the closing date got pushed 2 more times and both times we signed and they got sent over to sellers agent.

    However the agent never told the sellers and they never signed. Our loan ended up falling through and the sellers agent sent me a contact for a lady who works at a bank who is good at “rescuing loans” I called that lady and I also called Amerisave where a close friend is a LO.

    Within one day I was in underwriting and moving quickly with Amerisave. The other lady took 2 days to call me back. She was moving very slow. I continue to work with my LO at Amerisave up until they ask for the extension for the purchase agreement. My realtor reached out to the sellers agent and the sellers agent said she would not pass on the extension to be signed UNLESS I used her contact at the other bank.. even though I felt that was unethical/illegal for someone to be telling me/strong arming me into using a lender I wasn’t comfortable with I still decided to try to go through her contact just to keep her happy.

    Needless to say her contact continued to take a long time to get the process started and I ended up losing the house today because they took another offer. 

    Mind you no termination has been signed. We have a contract it’s just out of date because she refused to send it to the sellers to sign unless we used her friend/loan officer. 

    I am furious with my realtor for not staying on top of the sellers agent about past extensions being signed. And I feel wronged/violated by being forced to use a lender I wasn’t comfortable with. 

    Is this legal? Do I have a right to be upset at both of them for screwing me out of my dream house?


     I have had the same thing happen to me, I was on the listing agent side, we were in escrow for 107 days. The buyer's agent/buyer first used a lender that could not get it done we tried to have them use our trusted lender (we were signing extensions the whole time), and the buyer's agent said no we are going with another lender to get it done. In the end that lender they used on the second go around got it done, but if we were going to use our lender and force their hand it would have been steering them to our lender. 

    The long-short of it is, you need to have your agent be on top of hit and get those extensions signed by all parties to be within compliance and make sure that the agent is tracking the lender to confirm they are doing the right work on the loan to create a smooth transaction.

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Peter Mckernan:
    Quote from @Catherine R.:

    So we were under contract for a house. Our closing date got pushed. My realtor had us sign extensions and sent them to the sellers agent. I believe they signed one of them. But the closing date got pushed 2 more times and both times we signed and they got sent over to sellers agent.

    However the agent never told the sellers and they never signed. Our loan ended up falling through and the sellers agent sent me a contact for a lady who works at a bank who is good at “rescuing loans” I called that lady and I also called Amerisave where a close friend is a LO.

    Within one day I was in underwriting and moving quickly with Amerisave. The other lady took 2 days to call me back. She was moving very slow. I continue to work with my LO at Amerisave up until they ask for the extension for the purchase agreement. My realtor reached out to the sellers agent and the sellers agent said she would not pass on the extension to be signed UNLESS I used her contact at the other bank.. even though I felt that was unethical/illegal for someone to be telling me/strong arming me into using a lender I wasn’t comfortable with I still decided to try to go through her contact just to keep her happy.

    Needless to say her contact continued to take a long time to get the process started and I ended up losing the house today because they took another offer. 

    Mind you no termination has been signed. We have a contract it’s just out of date because she refused to send it to the sellers to sign unless we used her friend/loan officer. 

    I am furious with my realtor for not staying on top of the sellers agent about past extensions being signed. And I feel wronged/violated by being forced to use a lender I wasn’t comfortable with. 

    Is this legal? Do I have a right to be upset at both of them for screwing me out of my dream house?


     I have had the same thing happen to me, I was on the listing agent side, we were in escrow for 107 days. The buyer's agent/buyer first used a lender that could not get it done we tried to have them use our trusted lender (we were signing extensions the whole time), and the buyer's agent said no we are going with another lender to get it done. In the end that lender they used on the second go around got it done, but if we were going to use our lender and force their hand it would have been steering them to our lender. 

    The long-short of it is, you need to have your agent be on top of hit and get those extensions signed by all parties to be within compliance and make sure that the agent is tracking the lender to confirm they are doing the right work on the loan to create a smooth transaction.

    Thank you for sharing your experience and your perspective on this. I would have been more comfortable using her bank had it been an actual mortgage company not a bank that sometimes does mortgages. Where Amerisave has junior underwriters and they were flying through the application. My biggest issue is them completely halting any progress I could have made with Amerisave by refusing to sign unless I used their preferred lender. I felt like I was backed into a corner and forced to do something I wasn’t comfortable with. It felt icky and I just don’t think that’s how it should be done. 

    like you said suggesting a trusted lender is MUCH different than forcing my hand. 

    Again, thank you for sharing your experience with a similar situation. 
  • Investor · Van Isle · Member since 2021 · 455 posts · 226 votes
    4y
     It felt icky and I just don’t think that’s how it should be done.  

    How should have it been done, well, if you contracted to perform, and repeatedly failed that performance, you compromise your position, if not surrender it all together. This might be a lesson, or not. Without permissions, you do not have access to the property to enjoy any of the improvements you've made. Another lesson waiting to be realized. 

    To be honest, if I've read correctly, a question of ethics should be directed your way. You are entering into an agreement to purchase, without qualifying. How ethical is that?

  • Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Dwayne Poster:
     It felt icky and I just don’t think that’s how it should be done.  

    How should have it been done, well, if you contracted to perform, and repeatedly failed that performance, you compromise your position, if not surrender it all together. This might be a lesson, or not. Without permissions, you do not have access to the property to enjoy any of the improvements you've made. Another lesson waiting to be realized. 

    To be honest, if I've read correctly, a question of ethics should be directed your way. You are entering into an agreement to purchase, without qualifying. How ethical is that?

    You don’t know that I didn’t qualify. I used a sketchy bank that had me change a letter of explanation 3 times which made us look bad. This is my first time buying a house I didn’t know what to look out for. Now having gone through the process I absolutely do qualify and I’m not really sure why you’re coming at me saying I’m unethical for attempting to buy a home for my family. On top of it we were using a VA loan. So I guess you just don’t care about veterans? 

    did that sound like a stretch? Cause that’s exactly how you sound accusing me of being unethical because I didn’t know if I qualified for my FIRST home. 

    and not even touching on the fact that the owners allowed us to renovate their home just to sell it under the guise of promising to rent to us. But no. I’m the unethical one. Lol got it. 

    and to be clear I absolutely learned a ton of lessons through this. Thanks for being concerned about my ability to learn through new experiences. Appreciate it. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    4y

    You are in default of the contract. No one is forcing you to use their lender. They are giving you a second chance after you defaulted to save the deal. They could simply say no extension and move on to the next buyer, which is what I would have done.

  • Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    You are in default of the contract. No one is forcing you to use their lender. They are giving you a second chance after you defaulted to save the deal. They could simply say no extension and move on to the next buyer, which is what I would have done.

    By saying the only way we will sign an extension is if you use this bank is absolutely forcing me to use their lender… 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    You are in default of the contract. No one is forcing you to use their lender. They are giving you a second chance after you defaulted to save the deal. They could simply say no extension and move on to the next buyer, which is what I would have done.

    By saying the only way we will sign an extension is if you use this bank is absolutely forcing me to use their lender… 


     No it's not. You are free to walk away and should be greatful they are giving you a second opportunity. You are completely ignoring the fact that you defaulted on the contract.

  • Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    You are in default of the contract. No one is forcing you to use their lender. They are giving you a second chance after you defaulted to save the deal. They could simply say no extension and move on to the next buyer, which is what I would have done.

    By saying the only way we will sign an extension is if you use this bank is absolutely forcing me to use their lender… 


     No it's not. You are free to walk away and should be greatful they are giving you a second opportunity. You are completely ignoring the fact that you defaulted on the contract.

    I should be grateful? Your mentality is gross. Have a good one. Thanks for the input!
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    You are in default of the contract. No one is forcing you to use their lender. They are giving you a second chance after you defaulted to save the deal. They could simply say no extension and move on to the next buyer, which is what I would have done.

    By saying the only way we will sign an extension is if you use this bank is absolutely forcing me to use their lender… 


     No it's not. You are free to walk away and should be greatful they are giving you a second opportunity. You are completely ignoring the fact that you defaulted on the contract.

    I should be grateful? Your mentality is gross. Have a good one. Thanks for the input!

    With all due respect, you're asking for advice on a forum dedicated to business, and you will get the advice you need/want whether you like it or not. Don't be so easily offended, no one means you any harm.

    Use this as a learning experience instead, this will probably not be the only house you ever buy, And if you are going to continue and be an investor, you will need to learn the ins and outs. This business will eat you up and spit you out like no other....

  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    That would be nice....but did they do anything illegal?

    And it's true that it's YOUR money and you should be able to choose YOUR lender.....but it is THEIR house and they should be able to choose also....
    I suppose not illegal but it is unethical after I read through the realtor ethics. 

    I actually have another question for you. We made renovations to the house as the sellers originally offered to rent it to us until we got a loan. (That obviously didn’t happen) we ended up painting building and moving our things in. 

    we obviously are going back to get all of our belongings which have been in the house for a week now that’s been on the market. 

    but we also built a fence to pass the VA appraisal. We used our money/materials/labor (my husband) are we rightfully allowed to dismantle the fence? I feel like it’s in a gray area but honestly I’m mad and I don’t want people profiting off of screwing us over. 

    This new information is a totally different issue. 

    You should seek legal help for this. If I were you, I also wouldn't move out. If they gave you the keys, you have possession as a renter.  If they gave you keys, go in and change the locks, and live there. Make them jump through the hoops to get you out.

    It was foolish of you to do repairs on a property you didn't own, but this is the first thing you have said that appears unethical on the sellers part.  If the house now has higher value due to the repairs you made, I can see why an unethical seller would pull it away from you.

    Tell them you are not moving out and talk to a lawyer.  Now that you have a bargaining chip, if you play your cards right and don't make them hate you, you might actually get them to come back to the table so you can purchase the property.

  • Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Greg Scott:
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    That would be nice....but did they do anything illegal?

    And it's true that it's YOUR money and you should be able to choose YOUR lender.....but it is THEIR house and they should be able to choose also....
    I suppose not illegal but it is unethical after I read through the realtor ethics. 

    I actually have another question for you. We made renovations to the house as the sellers originally offered to rent it to us until we got a loan. (That obviously didn’t happen) we ended up painting building and moving our things in. 

    we obviously are going back to get all of our belongings which have been in the house for a week now that’s been on the market. 

    but we also built a fence to pass the VA appraisal. We used our money/materials/labor (my husband) are we rightfully allowed to dismantle the fence? I feel like it’s in a gray area but honestly I’m mad and I don’t want people profiting off of screwing us over. 

    This new information is a totally different issue. 

    You should seek legal help for this. If I were you, I also wouldn't move out. If they gave you the keys, you have possession as a renter.  If they gave you keys, go in and change the locks, and live there. Make them jump through the hoops to get you out.

    It was foolish of you to do repairs on a property you didn't own, but this is the first thing you have said that appears unethical on the sellers part.  If the house now has higher value due to the repairs you made, I can see why an unethical seller would pull it away from you.

    Tell them you are not moving out and talk to a lawyer.  Now that you have a bargaining chip, if you play your cards right and don't make them hate you, you might actually get them to come back to the table so you can purchase the property.

    They never gave us keys. They planned to rent to us let us renovate and move our things in and then stopped communicating other than to tell us it was back on the market. I realize I was trusting a relationship the seller and I built (or so I thought) lots of lessons were learned. 
  • Investor · Van Isle · Member since 2021 · 455 posts · 226 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Greg Scott:
    you my friend, are cruising for a bruising.
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    I just noticed this comment about the fence. No you cannot remove any improvement made to a property, Ever.

    This comes up in the construction world a lot...a Contractor frames a wall/installs cabinets/ adds a new roof/etc, and then the homeowner does not pay them. Happens all the time. The Contractor can not go back in a remove the products in question.

    Don't even think about doing this, it's considered theft.....you don't want to add jail time to this mess. Just learn and move on.....
  • Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    I just noticed this comment about the fence. No you cannot remove any improvement made to a property, Ever.

    This comes up in the construction world a lot...a Contractor frames a wall/installs cabinets/ adds a new roof/etc, and then the homeowner does not pay them. Happens all the time. The Contractor can not go back in a remove the products in question.

    Don't even think about doing this, it's considered theft.....you don't want to add jail time to this mess. Just learn and move on.....

     That’s what I figured. Thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Lehigh Valley, PA · Member since 2017 · 200 posts · 191 votes
    4y

    Sorry to hear this happened.   The industry is going to consolidate soon and these bad actors will be flushed out.  Help your fellow buyers and file complaints against the realtors and leave some bad reviews.



  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Deering:

    The industry is going to consolidate soon

    Just curious....what does this mean?


  • Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Deering:

    Sorry to hear this happened.   The industry is going to consolidate soon and these bad actors will be flushed out.  Help your fellow buyers and file complaints against the realtors and leave some bad reviews.



    That’s definitely the plan once I get my hand money back. It was a sh*tshow on both sides. Learned a lot though and I won’t give up on finding a good home for my family. 
    Thanks for responding!!
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    That would be nice....but did they do anything illegal?

    And it's true that it's YOUR money and you should be able to choose YOUR lender.....but it is THEIR house and they should be able to choose also....

    there are times when sellers wont accept a contract based on who the buyer is using for a lender..  I know for me on my new construction I will NOT sell to a client that is using Rocker OR Wells Fargo way to much brain drain as the builder/seller to deal with those institutions and I have that right.
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Greg Scott:
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Catherine R.:
    That would be nice....but did they do anything illegal?

    And it's true that it's YOUR money and you should be able to choose YOUR lender.....but it is THEIR house and they should be able to choose also....
    I suppose not illegal but it is unethical after I read through the realtor ethics. 

    I actually have another question for you. We made renovations to the house as the sellers originally offered to rent it to us until we got a loan. (That obviously didn’t happen) we ended up painting building and moving our things in. 

    we obviously are going back to get all of our belongings which have been in the house for a week now that’s been on the market. 

    but we also built a fence to pass the VA appraisal. We used our money/materials/labor (my husband) are we rightfully allowed to dismantle the fence? I feel like it’s in a gray area but honestly I’m mad and I don’t want people profiting off of screwing us over. 

    This new information is a totally different issue. 

    You should seek legal help for this. If I were you, I also wouldn't move out. If they gave you the keys, you have possession as a renter.  If they gave you keys, go in and change the locks, and live there. Make them jump through the hoops to get you out.

    It was foolish of you to do repairs on a property you didn't own, but this is the first thing you have said that appears unethical on the sellers part.  If the house now has higher value due to the repairs you made, I can see why an unethical seller would pull it away from you.

    Tell them you are not moving out and talk to a lawyer.  Now that you have a bargaining chip, if you play your cards right and don't make them hate you, you might actually get them to come back to the table so you can purchase the property.


    another one of my tales..  I sold a house it sat on 40 acres I logged it then sold on lease option to the new buyer they had one year to pay us off.  We take these lease options as a property freshly logged can ( Well) look like  a bomb went off.. So anyway they pay as agreed and they built a Pole barn 30X 50 for their horses and aminals .. Well then about 3 weeks before we close they go and buy a Case 450 backhoe.. And booom  there went their DTI  no longer qualified.. And they lost their deposit to me which was not small and they lost the money they put into the pole barn and all the cross fencing they did.

    Buyers do this sometimes even though their agents and lenders will say DO NOT BUY anything on credit before your loan closes you cant help that folks do some strange things sometimes.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.