Larger, expensive cities have not seen large percentage increases in population (ex. San Francisco just 3.7%, Los Angeles 3.1%, NYC about 4.5%)
Cheaper expanding cities experienced significant population growth (Austin 26.1%, Dallas Area 30-50%, Houston 20.3%, Raleigh 43.5%)
The Midwest, particularly South Dakota, North Dakota (except Fargo), Nebraska, and Kansas, Iowa, and Montana experienced little growth
I would expect that in the last four years we've seen these trends continue...people moving, primarily the middle class, out of the more expense cities to more affordable cities.
Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
I bet if you looked at population density per square mile growth then SF, LA and NYC would lead.
I would also guess that the growth in population from high to lo consisted of non home owners in the high areas. There are equity immigrants but I think their numbers are generally overstated.
Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 332 posts · 288 votes
11y
@Account Closed
I would agree 100%. I think people will leave tier I cities (SF, LA, NYC, etc) and move to what I consider tier II cities -- Austin, Raleigh, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Minneapolis, Nashville, etc.
People aren't leaving SF for Montana, but might say hey I can move to Minneapolis or Nashville and still have a cosmopolitan life at half the cost. Makes sense when you get married and have kids if you aren't a post-IPO techie or trust fund baby. That's what I did and 5 years in Minneapolis with no complaints.
bennett, CO · Member since 2014 · 225 posts · 122 votes
11y
Pueblo Colorado has low employment and high crime rate compared to many [most] cities. That being said,for a number of reasons, I would estimate that there is about an 89 to 92% likelihood that it will be the next retirement mecca for retiring boomers from more expensive cities within the next five to ten years.
Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
I bet if you looked at population density per square mile growth then SF, LA and NYC would lead.
I would also guess that the growth in population from high to lo consisted of non home owners in the high areas. There are equity immigrants but I think their numbers are generally overstated.
Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y
Anecdotally, LA is too crowded in most parts. It would be great to feel the net effect of this as far as traffic goes. Never happens though...it just gets worse and worse traffic wise, more construction, tighter living....maybe one day it will reverse. Wishful thinking so far and the way they keep building new multis I don't see anything on horizon either.
Real Estate Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 81 posts · 6 votes
11y
@Vicki Gleitz Pueblo, Colorado a retirement mecca in 5-10 years? Maybe you'll be proven correct but that seems impossible to me. What's your thought process?
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 577 posts · 203 votes
11y
Yes @Account Closed
Yes, higher multis...is what you'll see. In San Francisco we've got about 10 high-end multifamily buildings going in...knocking down smaller buildings and building new multis twice as tall.
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 577 posts · 203 votes
11y
Not only the middle class, but people in all income categories are moving South and West (warmer climates). As someone with family in NYC living in San Francisco, I certainly feel that many high-income earning New Yorkers are moving West to CA.
Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 615 posts · 172 votes
11y
This certainly points to where next to expect economic prosperity with respect to real estste investment. Houston and Dallas are of particular interest and we have seen relatively strong property appreciation lately.
bennett, CO · Member since 2014 · 225 posts · 122 votes
11y
Tom Gunnison. I tend to "lose my words" when I come to BP,but I will do my best to explain a very few reasons. I first became interested in Pueblo after reading an article about Pueblo online by a geographical statistician [ I know that is not the actual title] who teaches statistics at the university. Justin is obviously 'creatively wired," so I started researching. Soon after that I spoke with a friend in the support group that I attend, who, after his own research, gave me the numbers I quoted.. If you have ever seen the movie 'Mozart and the Whale," Bills' thinking is similar to the character portrayed as the male lead [ the movie is actually based on a true story] Though Bill,like most of us, is socially inept, he is beyond mere genius with numbers AND with projecting non-Autistic peoples actions.
Initially the plan was to buy a large Autistic house in Thornton,[and build from there] but when it became clear that my son had enough money saved up to buy a home with cash in Pueblo, our group started looking more seriously at Pueblo.
I will not go into detail as exactly why Pueblo would be a good place to build an intentional community within an already existing community, because that is not pertinent. Our future community, though, for many reasons, if successful, will be one element in Pueblos' growth. Just one reason is because there are already Silicon Valley folks interested in moving a portion of their company to Pueblo if we can make the community work.
AARP has rated Pueblo as one of the best places for a retiree on a less than huge income to comfortably live. It has been rated sixth in historical preservation, second best kids museum in the country and second best food festival. more sunny days than practically any city, and if you like that "old time community feel," how about a city park that has has kiddie rides for a quarter?
Pueblo has been rated as one of the least expensive city of its' size in the country.[I believe this is in LIVABILITY 2012]
I was just about to touch on the impact that Arkansas River Walk is practically destined to have on Pueblos' economy but I need to make Christmas cookies with my youngest grand daughter. I can elaborate later id you would like.
Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
@Bob Bowling
I don't think I agree. The census measures all population growth, both owners and renters. Many of the people moving from NY to NC are owners, not renters....because they're moving so they can BUY a property.
Just based on anecdotal evidence it seems that people that move away from SF leave because they cannot afford a home. Or they have a home but when the job ends and the retirement income is small they have to use the home equity to live in retirement.
If you were smart and bought a home early in life you'd be giving up a lot to leave CA. With a fixed paid down mortgage, a low Prop 13 tax base your are living in one of the best places on earth for very little. Homeowners that I see leave have strong family ties elsewhere or get caught up in the 5,000 sf home for one third the price. Most of them eventually realize the 5,000 sf house costs more to maintain and that the only reason to need so much space is because they are cooped up much of the year because of weather.
Wholesaler · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2012 · 259 posts · 147 votes
11y
Cool article and data. I'd be interested in seeing population shifts in the Bay Area, @Account Closed . Seems like there is a decent amount of migration from SF and the peninsula to the East (and somewhat to the North, past Marin county). I was a part of 2 projects in Oakland earlier this year and both buyers were from SF. Anecdotal evidence suggests this is part of a larger trend, but I haven't seen any hard numbers to back that up. Seems people (like me!) are getting tired of sky-high rents and are going to Oakland and the surrounding cities for cheaper cost-of-living with a bit more space as well.
Cool article and data. I'd be interested in seeing population shifts in the Bay Area, @Account Closed . Seems like there is a decent amount of migration from SF and the peninsula to the East (and somewhat to the North, past Marin county). I was a part of 2 projects in Oakland earlier this year and both buyers were from SF. Anecdotal evidence suggests this is part of a larger trend, but I haven't seen any hard numbers to back that up. Seems people (like me!) are getting tired of sky-high rents and are going to Oakland and the surrounding cities for cheaper cost-of-living with a bit more space as well.
Population shifts in the Bay Area/Ca will to some degree track Prop 90 benefits where you can take your low Prop 13 benefit with you under certain conditions. Originally there were 30 of the 58 CA counties that participated. Up until about 2000 there were only ten and they were in alphabetical order (because that's how I remembered them) Alameda, Kern and LA, Modoc, Monterrey, Orange, San Diego, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Ventura.
Investor · Great Falls, MT · Member since 2014 · 163 posts · 132 votes
11y
If you look more closely Montana and many northwestern markets are actually seeing very strong population growth. Look at places like Bozeman, Missoula, Boise, etc. It's not just a more laid back rural lifestyle, a lot of these cities are hip college towns with plenty of culture etc. On the other hand, places like NYC and LA are maintaining their population mostly though a mass influx of low wage/low education immigrants while the more well heeled leaving.
Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 332 posts · 74 votes
11y
I always thought that people move primarily where there is a higher jobs' growth rate. Many real estate researches are done based on the jobs' growth rate.
Housing reasons for moving are typically done inside of the same county and they come second after the jobs related moves.
Check out this research for reasons to move done by the Gov in 2014
Real Estate Investor · OR · Member since 2012 · 390 posts · 133 votes
11y
Something else to considered is the Boomer trend of retirement. Boomers have changed many industries as they have gone through the decades. Now, many of them are moving . . to be closer to family, to downsize and simplify, to be more comfortable (weather and affordability) and to have logistics that afford them ease of mobility.
Boomers don't want to have to drive long distances in traffic or live in big houses. Many desire smaller communities where there is a sense of connected-ness and convenience.
There's lots of fascinating reading about this generation of people, the largest in history, that will affect those of us in the real estate industry. This is just one good article about why and where they will be moving.
Real Estate Investor · Ridgway, CO · Member since 2014 · 76 posts · 10 votes
11y
There is also migration within this region. A lot of down sizing here in Western Colorado. Less is more: expenses of all kinds, taxes, size of home and property. Moving from the big acreages with stunning views to town and closer to amenities.