Call to action for landlords

39 Replies

@Ruth C. thank you for applying some critical thought to this. I am not website pro, but at a minimum, why would one not just contact their politicians directly? They all have many vehicles available for their constituents to contact them. They all want to be contacted. I don't see a need for this website, at least a need that benefits a property owner. Agree there is no guarantee of what they are doing with the information they receive. It could even be gathering information about investors/property owners that will be used adversely against those very investors/owners. I will be continue to be vocal via direct means and through my local REIA.

Originally posted by @Dave G. :

@Gerald Rutledge the topic is not politics. It is about property owners being forced to provide housing without compensation, or the ability to legally pursue compensation. 

This is not a political site, and I'm surprised your post has not already been deleted by a moderator.

Delete away, but writing or petitioning politicians is not "about politics"?  OK, sure... You want something from politicians who make laws, but you don't want to call it politics, you want to call it "legal issues".

Delete the post, it matters little.  I never mentioned any candidates, BTW.

This article will resonate with the group.  Starting to hear some voices from Associations representing Independent Landlords at the national level:

"The sweeping order effectively requires landlords to subsidize distressed tenants' housing through the end of the year or face criminal penalties and hefty fines. That's a tall order for the country's 8 million independent landlords — most of whom lease a unit here or there on property they own without the financial backing of professional management companies....

Bob Pinnegar, CEO of the National Apartment Association. “Most of the rental housing we have in this country is provided by individuals who are simply running a small business and trying to stay afloat and survive.”...

"As a result, lobbying groups for the building owners are pressing for Congress to pass some form of direct assistance to keep tenants paying their rent. Landlords are also challenging Trump's action in court.

https://www.politico.com/state...

Originally posted by @Dave G. :

@Ruth C. thank you for applying some critical thought to this. I am not website pro, but at a minimum, why would one not just contact their politicians directly? They all have many vehicles available for their constituents to contact them. They all want to be contacted. I don't see a need for this website, at least a need that benefits a property owner. Agree there is no guarantee of what they are doing with the information they receive. It could even be gathering information about investors/property owners that will be used adversely against those very investors/owners. I will be continue to be vocal via direct means and through my local REIA.

@Dave G.: Exactly. It looks a typical Big Tech unicorn/commercial enterprise harvesting information from visitors that could be sold to parties interested in exploiting this entire situation. There's nothing anywhere on the site that suggests that it's affiliated with any official government agency, and Wikipedia lists Fiscal Note (the company running Voter Voice) as a "a privately held software, data, and media company."

Originally posted by @Ruth C. :
Originally posted by @Dave G.:

@Dave G.: Exactly. It looks a typical Big Tech unicorn/commercial enterprise harvesting information from visitors that could be sold to parties interested in exploiting this entire situation. There's nothing anywhere on the site that suggests that it's affiliated with any official government agency, and Wikipedia lists Fiscal Note (the company running Voter Voice) as a "a privately held software, data, and media company."

The website that I listed is a service that NARPM (National Association of Residential Property Managers) pays for and uses to lobby on behalf of Property Managers and in this case Landlords as well.  The intent is to make it incredibly simple for you to contact your representatives about the specific issue.  I have participated in several Calls to Action to send these emails out and in each case, I receive communication back from my Representative, one that they received it, and a second later on addressing it.  The intent is to relay to the representatives that we are paying attention to what they are doing, or in this case, not doing. 

Here is the link in case you missed it: https://www.votervoice.net/NARPM/campaigns/77031/respond

@AJ Shepard is correct. VoterVoice is simply a platform that NARPM pays for to allow folks to drop a note to their elected officials. VoterVoice does not share the information with any third parties. We see who takes action via our call to action, and of course, when you write a Member of Congress, they see your info. But, VoterVoice is not some sort of interest group that is aggregating data. They are not in the data business. They are in the business of selling software. They are owned by FiscalNote, which also sells a very good software system for tracking legislation and regulation.

Tyler Craddock
Governmental Affairs Director
NARPM

I have sent multiple emails to my Senator  and what I get in return is his standard policy statement on housing that has little to do with concerns over the eviction moratoriums.

Originally posted by @AJ Shepard :

Originally posted by @Ruth C.:

@Dave G.: Exactly. It looks a typical Big Tech unicorn/commercial enterprise harvesting information from visitors that could be sold to parties interested in exploiting this entire situation. There's nothing anywhere on the site that suggests that it's affiliated with any official government agency, and Wikipedia lists Fiscal Note (the company running Voter Voice) as a "a privately held software, data, and media company."

The website that I listed is a service that NARPM (National Association of Residential Property Managers) pays for and uses to lobby on behalf of Property Managers and in this case Landlords as well.  The intent is to make it incredibly simple for you to contact your representatives about the specific issue.  I have participated in several Calls to Action to send these emails out and in each case, I receive communication back from my Representative, one that they received it, and a second later on addressing it.  The intent is to relay to the representatives that we are paying attention to what they are doing, or in this case, not doing. 

Here is the link in case you missed it: https://www.votervoice.net/NARPM/campaigns/77031/respond

All this tells me is that a lobby decided to let a third party commercial entity handle its correspondence between it and government officials, when they already have a direct link to those officials themselves on the officials' own websites. So, to say that NARPM uses it means as much to me as saying the NRA, MAD or NAACP uses it. 

I repeat, Fiscal Note, which runs VoterVoice.net. is a unicorn aka tech startup by three guys who are no more than 30. Like most GenZ/millennial-run unicorns, it's trying to monetize political expression and activism by pretending to offer a service, in the same way Facebook and Twitter monetized "free speech". Reviews of FN at places like Glassdoor show that it's trying to acquire other companies and an IPO; does this sound like a company that has a vested interest in giving people a "voice"? No.

We have enough trouble with people throwing their free speech away on Big Tech platforms; we don't another one acting as a middle man to talk directly to our representatives. Keep in mind that I'm not against the spirit of your post but that, IMO, it's better for people to contact their reps than to go through Big Tech GenZ/millennial unicorn.

Originally posted by @Ruth C. :
Originally posted by @AJ Shepard:

Originally posted by @Ruth C.:

@Dave G.: Exactly. It looks a typical Big Tech unicorn/commercial enterprise harvesting information from visitors that could be sold to parties interested in exploiting this entire situation. There's nothing anywhere on the site that suggests that it's affiliated with any official government agency, and Wikipedia lists Fiscal Note (the company running Voter Voice) as a "a privately held software, data, and media company."

All this tells me is that a lobby decided to let a third party commercial entity handle its correspondence between it and government officials, when they already have a direct link to those officials themselves on the officials' own websites. So, to say that NARPM uses it means as much to me as saying the NRA, MAD or NAACP uses it. 

I repeat, Fiscal Note, which runs VoterVoice.net. is a unicorn aka tech startup by three guys who are no more than 30. Like most GenZ/millennial-run unicorns, it's trying to monetize political expression and activism by pretending to offer a service, in the same way Facebook and Twitter monetized "free speech". Reviews of FN at places like Glassdoor show that it's trying to acquire other companies and an IPO; does this sound like a company that has a vested interest in giving people a "voice"? No.

We have enough trouble with people throwing their free speech away on Big Tech platforms; we don't another one acting as a middle man to talk directly to our representatives. Keep in mind that I'm not against the spirit of your post but that, IMO, it's better for people to contact their reps than to go through Big Tech GenZ/millennial unicorn.

I was thankful for the link and platform. I would like to say that I would take the time to write my Representative and Senator directly using their mailing address or email from their respective websites.  But, the fact of the matter for me is it likely wouldn't happen, and I imagine that is the case for many others as well. I did contact them through this site, it's easy.  Its important that Representatives hear from Independent Landlords on this issue, as well as National Associations (which will be further supported if constituents reach out themselves). I'm thankful the Associations are reaching out at the national level, and hopeful to see all these Independent Landlords and constituents doing the same on the ground level.  btw, if you go to the National Real Estate Investor Association site, home page has a link to contact representatives, senators on this same issue. They use voter voice as well.  If anyone is uncomfortable with the platform, then simply contact directly.  Just please don't be silent on the issue.  They need to hear from Landlords.

@Alex Forest makes a great point. If one does not want to contact an official via Voter Voice, then please do contact them directly. The important part is that those affected by the policies coming out of Washington make their voices heard. Those messages all go to the same inbox. So, however you get it there, please send it!

"All this tells me is that a lobby decided to let a third party commercial entity handle its correspondence between it and government officials, when they already have a direct link to those officials themselves on the officials' own websites. So, to say that NARPM uses it means as much to me as saying the NRA, MAD or NAACP uses it.

We have enough trouble with people throwing their free speech away on Big Tech platforms; we don't another one acting as a middle man to talk directly to our representatives. Keep in mind that I'm not against the spirit of your post but that, IMO, it's better for people to contact their reps than to go through Big Tech GenZ/millennial unicorn."

TLDR - Russian bots because Trump.