I want to Invest in RE and I can't find the time

15 Replies

I hear this a lot from people wanting to invest in real estate.  I want to invest in RE and I can't find the time.  When I was younger, I thought investing in real estate was a truly passive activity.  Yes, this may be the case if you have a lot of money and fund other people's deals.  

Unfortunately for most, there is a great deal of time and energy involved in real estate investing.  More than many of the gurus might tell you.  If you're truly wanting to be a passive investor and buy back your time, then here are a couple of tips.

INVEST YOUR MONEY WITH PROFESSIONAL INVESTORS

As a pro in the industry, I try to provide a turn key for my clients. That being said, it means that you can invest your money in a few ways. First you can provide short term funding to flippers or BRRRR folks looking to cash out in 12 months or less. Second, you can invest for longer terms like 3-5 years for a Real Estate Note to investors looking to build their rental portfolio. Third, you can look at being an LP in a larger Syndication deal that can last 5-10 years. In any of these scenarios, you're going to be truly passive as the ones borrowing your money pay you and do the work.

KNOW YOUR GOALS 

It is important to clearly define your goals and strategies for your money.  Do you want short term burst of transactional cash or are you looking for longer term residual cash flow?  Maybe you're looking for both.  Whatever you are trying to accomplish, be clear and stay true to your path.  Too many investors lose focus and spread themselves out in too many strategies missing the mark.  

KNOW WHY

What about investing in real estate is important to you?  Secret:  It's not about the money.  The answer is something deeper that requires your heart to answer.  What will the money do for you?  Will it provide you with a sense of security?  Will it help you buy back your time freedom?  Maybe you or someone you know have some health challenges that don't allow you to work regular steady jobs.  Whatever it is, this is going to pull you through the difficult days in your investing career.  (Yes, there will be some of those).  Get really clear on why real estate is so important to your life.

My goals include owing no one anything.  I lost everything I worked so hard for during the 2008 crash and swore I'd never go back.  I have dreams of traveling on missionary work without worrying about where my income will come from.  I have dreams of seeing the world with my wife without worrying about needing to be back for work.  I want to be there for my grand children and children when they have special events.  I spent too much of my life worrying and building other people's dreams. Now I want to design and build my life and live on my terms.  

If you can't find the time to get started, you won't have the time to build it.  You have to make some decisions.  Time and Money are just excuses.  Dig Deep and go for it.  

Hi @Joshua Christensen .  Yes, you're right. Managing your own real estate is really not passive. Any more than being an Olympic athlete in your spare time.  After talking with hundreds of investors who have tried, I have also concluded it is best to partner with others who do this full-time, obsessively.  I'd like to recommend a book called The Hands-Off Investor by Brian Burke. It will help investors choose the best operators and deals. 

Originally posted by @Paul Moore :

Hi @Joshua Christensen.  Yes, you're right. Managing your own real estate is really not passive. Any more than being an Olympic athlete in your spare time.  After talking with hundreds of investors who have tried, I have also concluded it is best to partner with others who do this full-time, obsessively.  I'd like to recommend a book called The Hands-Off Investor by Brian Burke. It will help investors choose the best operators and deals. 

I love that and look fwd to reading it.  Thank you Paul.

Hello  Joshua, 

My name is Gary and I'm from Jacksonville Florida.  I have been involved in Real estate investing for 12 years.  I am always looking for investors to partner with.  I have many deals available in Florida.  In a nutshell,  you put up the money and you are in 1st place on the mortgage, securing your investment. I put the deal together, perform all the work, rehab, sale the property and we split the profits 50/50. The entire deal is mapped out with the entire outline and all the numbers for your review and input. You can be as active or inactive as you would like.

@Joshua Christensen

@Gary Rogers

Land and otc tax deeds has been pretty passive for me in Duval, Clay County Florida. While also buying bank owned or short sale primary residences to live in rehab and later rent,(4xnow) We are now hoping to transition to IRS 121 exchange  2 year tax free primary residence flips.  For us this will be our 1st live in Farm flip.

( paid 138k as bank owned for 2001 built house on 5 acres and an inground screened pool, all fenced and separate pastures) .We are adding a garage and Inlaw suite and the market is still on our side. We can do this as often as every 2 years for as much as 500k married or 250k single tax free profits but must buy another primary with proceeds. (unless the current administration jinxs it)It's our 5 th live in rehab.. We keep our tools at home and everything I do with land and tax deeds(EA$Y MONEY) I do it from home also., I also lend in my IRA. My investing is pretty passive and I don't have to be in the streets with the wholesalers!

Originally posted by @Gary Rogers :

Hello  Joshua, 

My name is Gary and I'm from Jacksonville Florida.  I have been involved in Real estate investing for 12 years.  I am always looking for investors to partner with.  I have many deals available in Florida.  In a nutshell,  you put up the money and you are in 1st place on the mortgage, securing your investment. I put the deal together, perform all the work, rehab, sale the property and we split the profits 50/50. The entire deal is mapped out with the entire outline and all the numbers for your review and input. You can be as active or inactive as you would like.

Originally posted by @Gary Rogers :

Hello  Joshua, 

Hey Gary, thanks.  I've done several deals like this with capital partners.  Some have gone well and others not so well.  Every one has been a great piece of experience in this real estate journey.  Best wishes to you.  

Originally posted by @Carolyn Morales :

@Joshua Christensen

@Gary Rogers

Land and otc tax deeds has been pretty passive for me in Duval, Clay County Florida. While also buying bank owned or short sale primary residences to live in rehab and later rent,(4xnow) We are now hoping to transition to IRS 121 exchange  2 year tax free primary residence flips.  For us this will be our 1st live in Farm flip.

( paid 138k as bank owned for 2001 built house on 5 acres and an inground screened pool, all fenced and separate pastures) .We are adding a garage and Inlaw suite and the market is still on our side. We can do this as often as every 2 years for as much as 500k married or 250k single tax free profits but must buy another primary with proceeds. (unless the current administration jinxs it)It's our 5 th live in rehab.. We keep our tools at home and everything I do with land and tax deeds(EA$Y MONEY) I do it from home also., I also lend in my IRA. My investing is pretty passive and I don't have to be in the streets with the wholesalers!

Hey Carolyn.  That's fantastic.  I've heard of some strategies like this, not to the scale you're doing.  It's a commitment to live in construction zones for a good part of your life and it can be a great strategy.  Thank you for sharing your story.

@Joshua Christensen,

I love it! I am a girl that uses all the tools and keeps more equity in our pocket! I don't mind it at all! I am proud of our projects, It is very rewarding. Now for people who have to be constantly entertaining at home, it won't work!!

Originally posted by @Joe Callantine :

@Joshua Christensen Have you looked into Real Estate crowdfunding platforms like Fundrise or Buy the Block? Could be a place to park your money and be hands off. Just a thought.

I've looked at a couple of them.  Haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I've had my cash more active as of late and will utilize these more when I have some discretionary passive cash to work with.

Hi Joshua! I really love what you said in your post. I am still very new to this industry and RE really does take time plus dedication/drive to do it. This post definitely is giving me more motivation to just not give up. Looking forward for that day that everything is going to be paid off because of the hard work and passion for it.

You are right.  If you want to make it YOUR business, then you do need to know it is time consuming.  I recommend that you go slowly, learn as much as you can, find a legit. mentor or two and go for it.

Many, if not most people, find that the time demands are just too much and they actually have a career that they enjoy.  That is why passive investing in real estate is so popular.  Don't dismiss the idea right away.  You may, after digging deep, realize that investing passively is how you should proceed.  

If you do decide to invest passively, find a good solid sponsor and vet them thoroughly.  Then go for it!

I hope this helps.

Ken

Start with why. Define your goals. On point @Joshua Christensen . These two efforts will be the guiding principle in the real estate investment journey. The strategy can and will change. Your purpose or why will guide you through it the ups/downs and twirly spins :)

Find the time or invest in mutual funds/ ETFs. 

The crumbs left over for you buying into a syndication nor index fund performance will truly change your life or legacy.