• Lake Zurich, IL
Votes |
Tenants want to move out.

Kate K.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lake Zurich, IL
Posted Oct 15 2020, 13:31

Hello everybody,

Our tenants all of a sudden decided that the house they rent from us and loved, is no good for them anymore, and after sharing with us that the floor (laminate) is still "bubbling" (after we fixed it) which is bothering them now more as they work from home during pandemic, the walls are too thin and they can hear other being on the phone even though the doors are closed, and that their realtor friend found them many great option to buy their own house, our tenants without actually announcing that they want to move out, asking me 5.5 month in to their yearly lease, "what are our options?". I am surprised they even consider that there might be any, with their lease is being only for 1 year and it's 6.5 months left until they either renew it or give us 60 days move out notice. Their rent is $1800. In a lease we have a $3600 break lease fee + 60 days move out notice and they still responsible for these remaining 2 months rent, which start on a date when the $3600 are received and a written notice about their intention to move out was provided. 

Since the very start I accommodated them on number of things: we agreed on direct deposit and they did it only for 1 month, then said it doesn't work with their bank and asked me if the check would be acceptable, so I agreed to be driving to the bank myself every month depositing their rent checks (no big deal, it was worth for having good tenants). Then they were late on 2 occasions with their rent payments, I didn't assess them a late fee, I let it slide. Then we've jumped to attention each and every time they had concerns about the property. At last but not least, there is a dog only allowed in their lease. They got rid of a dog that they had, and asked me if they can have a kitten. So... once again, good tenants, we didn't want to loose them and I agreed, still having concerns about cat's urine on the floor. And now, few months later, they are letting me basically know they want to move out at all, with no regards to their lease... I was disappointed that they do not even recognize any responsibility that they have after signing the lease, and are not willing to pay for both (rent and mortgage), since they want to buy a house. They want out of the lease, but don't want to pay for it. They also talked something about many people moving out of the city, which was irrelevant and has nothing to do with them and their lease or us. 

Of course, this time (for the 1st time) I told them "You are welcome to not to renew the lease, but, no, you would still be responsible for the rest of the lease payments, should you decide to move early, regardless of when you want to move, before May 1st, 2021". I am trying to hold them to their commitment that they've made. But they were disappointed to hear "No" from me, because they used to get their way all the time before, and seems that they expected to push us again and as far as they can. I don't even know in what condition the house is right now after they got a cat... 

Now, after all this, I wonder how to handle it properly with accordance of local State laws and regulations? How to respond to them when it is in writing? What rights do we have as Landlords, and does this signed lease even mean anything (it's a residential standard lease offered by an attorney)? Our preference is "no subleting" and it is in their lease too that they signed, it's so random people wouldn't trash our property. Needless to say, to try to rent the house going in to winter will be challenging. Also, is there a proper closure that I have to do with them when the time comes, certain steps that we should follow? The property is in Lake County, IL. 

Any suggestions are welcome and would be appreciated. 

Thank you!

Loading replies...