Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Warren Marshall
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Red Deer Alberta
Votes |
Our First Airbnb Eviction! Much smoother than expected.

Warren Marshall
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Red Deer Alberta
Posted Jan 25 2021, 16:30

Last week we had a husband, wife and their 8 month old book at our airbnb.   Currently due to Covid our province (Alberta, Canada) has very strict rules such as: 

- No public gatherings indoor or outdoor. 

- $5000 fine to households that are hosting gatherings, as well as $1000 to each person at the household. 

- etc... 

Well, we noticed on our Ring doorbell the family checked in around noon and had 3 others joining them (total of 6).   We figured they were just local friends, and we gave them the benefit of the doubt.     Later that evening my wife noticed they had a total of 8 people at the house around 8pm, she sent them a message reminding them of the covid rules as well as our #1 house rule stating "Any un-authorized guests on the premises will force the cancelation of the booking immediately". We gave them until 9pm to respond- No response.   We called the guests and after being lied to, threatened and lied to again we decided to take a drive to the property.    Noticing that the tenants were obviously drunk and outnumbering myself, my wife and 6 month old we decided to call the police for advice.   They sent over a police officer who spoke to the tenants, kicked out the extras and told us there wasn't much we could do since they were paying guests and too drunk to drive.    

After a sleepless night of imagining how they were destroying the place my wife called Airbnb to see what options we had. We had to provide proof of police presence, negotiate a refund (in hindsight we probably could have refunded half, but we thought it was better for them to think that they won rather than stressing over another night of this. So we gave them 100% back.) and after a couple of messages to the tenant they were out! No Damage! ... all 8 beds were slept in, smelt like smoke and booze... but overall we were very happy with the Airbnb eviction process and would highly recommend getting a ring doorbell if you don't already have one for your STR. Its not only convenient for scheduling cleaning but gives peace of mind.

- Warren and Taryn 

Owners of: The Paddle-Inn

Loading replies...