Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Marketing Your Property
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Chris Gawlik
  • Investor
  • Yucaipa, CA
Votes |
Networking with Realtor's and Hard Money??

Chris Gawlik
  • Investor
  • Yucaipa, CA
Posted Jul 3 2014, 11:14

I was going to start networking with Realtor's and wanted to know if it is acceptable or more frowned upon to buy a deal through a Realtor with a hard money loan? I do have cash available but mite want to leverage some of it to do more than one deal at a time. 

I understand everybody wants cash to close a transaction quickly but I was just curious about what others are doing out there with financing, and what some Realtor's think about hard money.  

Account Closed
  • CA
Votes |
  • CA
Replied Jul 3 2014, 12:06
Originally posted by @Chris Gawlik:

I was going to start networking with Realtor's and wanted to know if it is acceptable or more frowned upon to buy a deal through a Realtor with a hard money loan? I do have cash available but mite want to leverage some of it to do more than one deal at a time. 

I understand everybody wants cash to close a transaction quickly but I was just curious about what others are doing out there with financing, and what some Realtor's think about hard money.  

Buy all cash the refit with a hml/pml.  Cash is king, you'll better pricing and don't have to hassle with a loan contingency.

Account Closed
  • CA
Votes |
  • CA
Replied Jul 3 2014, 12:08

Let me try that again:

Buy all cash then refi with a hml/pml. Cash is king, you'll get better pricing and don't have to hassle with a loan contingency.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Nick Wing
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 3 2014, 12:23

You can write the contract as cash, with an option for a hard money loan. A hard money lender can close within 2-3 days if needed. You should always try and include a contingency period regardless of loan or not. Ask for a 3-4 days, if you are working with a good lender, that should be plenty of time to get everything lined up. Usually escrow or the seller holds up the transaction a few days anyway. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff S.#5 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Jeff S.#5 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 3 2014, 13:10

Using your own cash and then refinancing out using hard money is the easiest solution @Chris Gawlik. Even if you have the cash now though, with hard work and some luck, hopefully you'll have enough deals at one time that you run out of cash. (Hard/Private money is only for the short-term and generally suitable for deals like flips. Buy and holds require longer term, cheaper money. You weren't specific.)

Either way, the more aggressive agents, who are used to working with investors, understand the game. It's very common to make an all cash, non-contingent offer and let your agent explain to either the seller or their agent that you will likely close with hard money. These are discussions you have up front with your agent so they know how you work and also your intentions.

Once your offer is accepted, either they or your hml/pml broker, will also break the news to escrow, who normally don't care either. It rare that a private seller will balk, but sometimes a bank will. Even in the heyday of REO's it was rare, but you could usually do a back-to-back close through one escrow company or two. Ditto short sales.

All of this works best after you've done a few deals and have gotten to know and trust one another, but this is extremely common out here.

Here's a related thread.

@Chris Gawlik