Off-Market Deals Website Name/Brand

Off-Market Deals Website Name/Brand

Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2015 · 113 posts · 28 votes

BP,

I am struggling coming up with a name for my Company to sell all of our off-market deals. Any Ideas? I had a few such as....

InvestorPad.com

OffTheMarket.com

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Vendor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 390 posts · 218 votes
9y

@Jonathan Taylor Smith I just sent @Jesse Burrell a private message with a 13-letter .com that fits what he does, and has a nice branded ring to it, including a couple target keywords, that's available for $12/year. I bought PushFire.com in 2012 for about $500. To take a gamble on a .software or any other (especially a long) TDL is not wise IMO. 

Your domain is literally the first .software site I've ever heard of, and I like to think I get around the net quite a bit. Sticking OffMarketDeals.Awesome or OffMarketDeals.XYZ is going to confuse the hell out of people. Not all, but most. Why take that risk when you can get a .com at $12/year with less than 15 characters? 

As a domainer, I get the argument to buy these up as an investment that the domain value will go up as these different TLDs acquire more branding, but to stake your entire business on a currently obscure TLD? It could take 10 years for .software to go mainstream. Once it does, I'm with you, but it's far too early to be passing out business cards or buying billboards with strange-looking TLDs, particuarly if your audience is older. 

Also, from an SEO standpoint, it can be a nightmare. If people confuse your domain enough to accidentally visit smartmail.com (instead of smartmail.software), then bloggers who link to your site can make the same mistake, generating valuable links to a completely different domain. All of that risk, with zero upside, because you can still get $12/year .com domains, or pay a few hundred dollars at most for something great. Doesn't make any sense to me.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan Taylor SmithBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Durham / Raleigh (Triangle), NC · Member since 2015 · 840 posts · 801 votes
    9y

    If you are willing to pay the price, search Sedo.com for the desired keywords. Otherwise, if you have time and more flexibility, try a name auction at NameJet.com or SnapNames.com. I'd also recommend considering something other than .COM - as in any one of the new gTLD's, such as... offmarket.watch. You can pretty much get .ANYTHING now. And stay away from hyphens in your domain name.

    Blue Chariot Realty & Management4.915 Reviews
  • Vendor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 390 posts · 218 votes
    9y

    @Jesse Burrell I disagree: stick with a .com - most are going to assume .com if they don't remember the TLD and you'll send traffic elsewhere.  Even @Jonathan Taylor Smith is using a .com ;)

    Also, never post the urls you are thinking of using, unless you've already bought them first. You may fall in love with one of those domains, and someone who sees this post will buy it and try to sell it to you at a premium price. 

  • Vendor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 390 posts · 218 votes
    9y

    @Jesse Burrell I sent you a private message with a few that are available on Godaddy that I would seriously consider.

  • Jonathan Taylor SmithBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Durham / Raleigh (Triangle), NC · Member since 2015 · 840 posts · 801 votes
    9y

    @Jesse Burrell, @Sean Dolan is right that .COM is king and generally assumed, but I have a .COM because I've been in the Internet business for over a decade and own hundreds of Premium Domains. But if I were seeking a new domain today and the desired .COM were taken, I'd have no problem using a .ANYTHING if it was not in direct competition (same product / service) with the website of the matching .COM. For example, another of my businesses owns smartermail.software and several other "smartermail" related domains; whereas smartermail.com is owned by and redirects to some travel website... but this has no negative impact on me, as someone seeking SmarterMail will immediately know that they are in the wrong place. Also, .COM will not be king forever.

    Blue Chariot Realty & Management4.915 Reviews
  • Vendor · Katy, TX · Member since 2015 · 390 posts · 218 votes
    9y

    @Jonathan Taylor Smith I just sent @Jesse Burrell a private message with a 13-letter .com that fits what he does, and has a nice branded ring to it, including a couple target keywords, that's available for $12/year. I bought PushFire.com in 2012 for about $500. To take a gamble on a .software or any other (especially a long) TDL is not wise IMO. 

    Your domain is literally the first .software site I've ever heard of, and I like to think I get around the net quite a bit. Sticking OffMarketDeals.Awesome or OffMarketDeals.XYZ is going to confuse the hell out of people. Not all, but most. Why take that risk when you can get a .com at $12/year with less than 15 characters? 

    As a domainer, I get the argument to buy these up as an investment that the domain value will go up as these different TLDs acquire more branding, but to stake your entire business on a currently obscure TLD? It could take 10 years for .software to go mainstream. Once it does, I'm with you, but it's far too early to be passing out business cards or buying billboards with strange-looking TLDs, particuarly if your audience is older. 

    Also, from an SEO standpoint, it can be a nightmare. If people confuse your domain enough to accidentally visit smartmail.com (instead of smartmail.software), then bloggers who link to your site can make the same mistake, generating valuable links to a completely different domain. All of that risk, with zero upside, because you can still get $12/year .com domains, or pay a few hundred dollars at most for something great. Doesn't make any sense to me.

  • Jonathan Taylor SmithBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Durham / Raleigh (Triangle), NC · Member since 2015 · 840 posts · 801 votes
    9y

    No disagreement on those statements @Sean Dolan - I always seek .COM first and foremost; however, I'm just saying that its worth also considering .ANYTHING alternatives - especially if you cannot find an effective .COM for direct registration or reasonable after-market purchase. And then once I find a great .COM, I often lockup all useful extensions anyway.

    Blue Chariot Realty & Management4.915 Reviews
  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2015 · 113 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    @Sean Dolan @Jonathan Taylor Smith thank you for all the feedback from both of you. I think we are willing to pay the premium for a DOT.com we found a few that cost anywhere from 2-3k that we also like. I want to grow this site to have a strong online present and a few thousand dollar in up front cost doesn't bother me much. I will let you guys know what we end up picking out.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.