Assist on marketing letter for "Nuisance" property list

Assist on marketing letter for "Nuisance" property list

Wholesaler · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote

I've recently started a direct mail campaign targeted at "nuisance" properties.  Properties that have received Nuisance Citations from the city. Although I've had  success with previous mail campaigns over the years to different lists, I have not gotten a single call yet after almost 200 letters.  So I am thinking that it must be my letter itself.

So, I am looking for assistance from a-far from others who may be marketing to a similar lists and are having success with their letter. Thank you in advance for some help on this.

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Attorney · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 358 votes
9y

Hi @John Sheldon,

Dont take it personally, but I had to laugh at your question.

Here's the situation - there's someone out there that doesnt bother to take care of a valuable resource - the real estate that they own. The situation is so bad that law enforcement has stepped in. 

And then, you expect this person to respond to a letter.

Does anything about your expectation seem unrealistic?

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    @John Sheldon

    1) Can't critic your letter because you haven't provided any details on what you did. It is possible your letter looks like junk mail that those owners didn't read.

    2) Direct mail is about creating a sustained campaign with your company brand and doing it over 4+ mailings. Not getting a response after only 1 mailing of 200 letters isn't out of the norm. It has to land when the seller is ready to take action.

    3) The date your letter lands matters so try split testing that. Try to avoid Monday (heavy mail day)

    4) The quality of your list could be an issue. If you bought a list from a vendor that sells to everyone and their mom and multiple investors have already mailed it and you only mailed out 200, it would make perfect sense why you got no responses.

  • Wholesaler · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thanks very much for getting back to me Ray.  I've been full time in the biz for over 15 yrs so I've been around the block as far as marketing AND direct mail campaigns; and I DO realize that this is a sustained effort involving multiple touches for sure.  I am getting high quality leads as they are hand picked from a guy who's only focus is creating high quality lists.and I am the only one he his selling to in this market. I just generally DO get SOME calls on the 1st mailing; however in my other campaigns I am mailing 400-500 per week; and this one only about about 25/wk as that is all there are in my local county. My local colleagues and I have gone back and forth over the years as far as company branding vs a more 'ma and pop' feel.  currently I AM using company branding on this campaign's letter.  If there is a email for you I can send you my piece for review.  you can call or text to the phone # that I left when I called.  Thanks again for your time.

  • Attorney · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 358 votes
    9y

    Hi @John Sheldon,

    Dont take it personally, but I had to laugh at your question.

    Here's the situation - there's someone out there that doesnt bother to take care of a valuable resource - the real estate that they own. The situation is so bad that law enforcement has stepped in. 

    And then, you expect this person to respond to a letter.

    Does anything about your expectation seem unrealistic?

  • Wholesaler · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Ahh, lovely Santa Cruz, I'm a banana slug grad from WAY back, spent 3 yrs there.  I understand what you are saying, however over the years, others have found it a vein of motivation for sellers in this business.  I didn't create the idea that this is a decent demographic to market to. 

  • Investor · Aptos, CA · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 38 votes
    9y

    @Jenifer Levini and @John Sheldon. Sounds reasonable to me. Not sure how things are in Portland, but if your on the county abatement list here in Santa Cruz, you can only ignore it for so long before they bring in the bulldozers. Go Slugs! :)

  • Wholesaler · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thanks Brian.  What I am looking for folks is a letter template of what others have used successfully to compare and contrast to what I am using.  Thanks All!

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 332 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @John Sheldon:

    Ahh, lovely Santa Cruz, I'm a banana slug grad from WAY back, spent 3 yrs there.  I understand what you are saying, however over the years, others have found it a vein of motivation for sellers in this business.  I didn't create the idea that this is a decent demographic to market to. 

     All this time, John, and I never you you were a banana slug too?? UCSC class of '96 (Porter College aka College 5). Next RareBird meeting, we can reminisce about walking to class through the forest. 

    As for the letters, I've never done them for REI but my gut feeling says short and sweet and you'll take the tenants.

  • Wholesaler · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Good to know Dani... talk soon; or better yet coffee or lunch?  Do you have my direct contact info?  Oh, I just found yours...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.