Lowering the costs of Yellow Letters / Postcards

Lowering the costs of Yellow Letters / Postcards

IL · Member since 2009 · 68 posts · 10 votes

Hi,

I want to get started with yellow letters to people who are in preforclosure and estates that are going thru probate.

One of the things I want to make sure is not to go broke mailing out the letters! I'm looking to mail approximately 15 letters a night.

I was hoping that this post could list some helpful hints to reduce the cost of producing and mailing yellow letters / yellow postcards.

Thanks,

Dustin

0Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
16y

Did you ask about mailing third class mail instead? If a bit of timing delay isn't a big deal once you get that pipeline full this may save you some money if you are watching the nickels and dimes.

I think that the speed of delivery will more than trump what you save in cost of advertising. You only have to do ONE additional deal every year to more than make up for the cost difference.

Don't skimp...They need to look professional and your list needs to be good. Otherwise you are just wasting money like you would be with bad postcard campaigns.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • IL · Member since 2009 · 68 posts · 10 votes
    16y

    Here are my initial costs to mailing out yellow letters

    $0.20 to $0.50 to my friend per handwritten letter (depends on length of letter / postcard).

    $0.026 per envelope

    $0.01 piece of yellow paper

    $0.44 for the stamp

    Total: $0.676 to $0.976 per yellow letter

  • IL · Member since 2009 · 68 posts · 10 votes
    16y

    I went to the post office to tell them my situation. They told me that you need to mail a minimum of 200 letters to qualify for the bulk rate. However, the person I spoke with told me that I wouldn't qualify for the bulk rate because my letters are personal (which I think is bogus).

    I guess I'm stuck with buying $0.44 stamps.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y

    Did you ask about mailing third class mail instead? If a bit of timing delay isn't a big deal once you get that pipeline full this may save you some money if you are watching the nickels and dimes.

    I think that the speed of delivery will more than trump what you save in cost of advertising. You only have to do ONE additional deal every year to more than make up for the cost difference.

    Don't skimp...They need to look professional and your list needs to be good. Otherwise you are just wasting money like you would be with bad postcard campaigns.

  • IL · Member since 2009 · 68 posts · 10 votes
    16y

    I'm going to try my best with these letters Brian.

    Paying my friend to hand write the envelope and the letter inside along with using a first class stamp will be expensive. However from the research I've done about yellow letters this maximizes the chances that the individual will open up and read the letter.

    I guess I'll be eating rice and beans, beans and rice until I get my first extra deal of the year done from yellow letters :)

  • Hurley, WI · Member since 2010 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    I think Bryan makes a great point - if you try to cut corners you may be better off saving your money.

    The point of using a yellow letter is to make the contact person think the letter is an invitation, thank you note, or other personal correspondence. If it looks like a letter from a relative most people will open it. If you use a third class stamp the letter no longer fits this criteria, which will impact your response rate.

  • Real Estate Investor · Frisco, TX, TX · Member since 2010 · 388 posts · 138 votes
    16y

    Dustin,

    I am also going to be doing yellow letters starting next month. We are going to be doing them in house to make sure they are done right.

    I didn't see the cost of buying leads in your numbers? For about the same price you could go to http://www.yellow-letters.com and they could do them for you. They require a minimum of 200 also.

    Just a thought.

  • IL · Member since 2009 · 68 posts · 10 votes
    16y

    Hi Ali,

    I'm doing my own research for who to mail. I'm only looking to invest within my own county at the moment so each night I'm on the counties website looking up lis pendings and probate cases.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.