Managing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Mike K.
Votes |
Bad tenant and need good advice.

Mike K.
Posted Oct 9 2022, 13:30

I recently bought a duplex and inherited a tenant since they refused to leave when i bought the house so i inherited 1 year of their 2 year lease (that i didnt sign or renew). I live in the first floor. 

This person does many bad things including letting their dog **** in my yard and never picking it up and not even thanking me or my gf for picking it up even when they are standing right there. They smoke on the property when it clearly says no smoking in the lease and then deny that it was them even though i have photos. The list unfortunately does go on. Since buying the property ive had to replace their washer and dryer due to excessive use. Ive also had to replace the entire roof due to leaks and i handled that within one week of knowing about the leak. 

My biggest problem is they are disabled in a non disabled apartment, low income in a non low income lease/apartment, and they want me to join all of these low income programs and get mad and hostile when i say no. They claim the apartment doesn’t get to 68 degress but refuse to remove their window AC units all winter because "its good for their health" yet they demand that i insulate the attic. 

I think they are setting up a lawsuit and i really dont know how to handle people like this. Ive always been nice and courteous. They have lived in this apartment for 5 years (4 years before i bought it) and all of a sudden are claiming it is unhabitable.

Any advice to limit my liability here would be great. Im in the process of finding a property manager but think this is a special case.

Loading replies...