Old utility, Landlord Agreement, biting me in the ass

Old utility, Landlord Agreement, biting me in the ass

Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 27 votes

I sold a house in Atlanta Georgia four years ago and forgot to cancel the landlord agreements in place with the power and gas companies. The current tenants who moved in in August never put utilities in their name so they reverted back to mine. Has anyone ever experienced this situation? Do I have any legal recourse to pursue the $800?

1Reply
26 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Aloha,

    You should provide the utility company with a certified copy of the recorded deed transfer document. Local law may still prevail, but this is where you should start, given the length of time passed.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    If you sold it 4 years ago, let the utility company know that you are no longer on title.  Have them send the bill to the current owners.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Good luck getting the tenants to pay you back for that. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brett Hennessy:

    I sold a house in Atlanta Georgia four years ago and forgot to cancel the landlord agreements in place with the power and gas companies. The current tenants who moved in in August never put utilities in their name so they reverted back to mine. Has anyone ever experienced this situation? Do I have any legal recourse to pursue the $800?


    Talk to the utility provider and explain the situation. They may ask for proof that you no longer own the property.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 27 votes
    3y

    @Nathan Gesner

    Appreciate all the advice. I went pretty deep up the manager route with customer service at Scanna Energy and they didn’t propose this option. I will try again, specifying this request. Thank you again.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.