I just wanted to address the prices you are being charged for plumbing. Our plumbing company charges $125/hr plus parts. Even if that was a 2 hour job for the gas leak, it would have been $250 plus any parts which would never have added up to the $1016. I would definitely look into this as I feel you are getting robbed.
@Artur A., I agree with @Mitch Staelens about the cost of the one repair. That jumped out at me as egregious on its face. I would be digging into that one before paying and even before authorizing the work tbh.
You seem frustrated by one high month of expenses. What is the AVERAGE cost over the last year across ALL of your rentals not just this one unit?!? You don't want to make policy changes based on one month.
In addition, I don't understand why anyone would want to put these expenses on a tenant. A tenant wants to be a tenant in part because they either don't want to or are not entirely able to handle these sorts of things. Putting the responsibility on the tenant invites them to do work themselves which might be poor quality, hire "chuck in a truck" to save money and again have low quality work, or ignore the issue causing additional damage.
I would instead be proactive with regard to inspections, maintenance, and capital expenses/upgrades. I would also consider what providers you use and in what circumstances. For example, for a drain clog, maybe use a handyman instead of a plumber at half the cost. These are things you can do to manage these expenses to a better long term average.
Your PM has something every month (and sometimes twice). I'd go to the rental myself and do an inspection to see what the place is like. Is it in good condition and you have a tenant who is either tough on stuff or whiny? or is it a fixer upper that needs some serious repairs? I have one place that is older and managed by a PM. My last tenant who was only there for 6 months managed to damage two of the faucets. I still have no idea why it was $750 to have them repaired as for that price I could have replaced them.
Because it isn't their money, some PM don't look at the charges and similarly some contractors charge more because they are unlikely to be questioned about the higher costs than if they were working for a home owner directly. A PM also has a large number of units and probably doesn't look at the costs for each, they just record what is done and send that info on to the owner.
You just had a rent increase on there. Could it be that the tenant decided if you are upping the rent they are upping their standards and turned in their list of things they lived with but now want fixed? Outside of that though agreeing with the others that if left to the tenants they will have 0 incentive to report or get quality repairs. I'm not sure why but for me when it rains it seems to pour with maintenance where I'll go a while all quiet and good then BAM 2-3 issues at different properties at the same time.
Why are these issues happening in the first place?
Are these items actually defective or old and need to be replaced?
Is the plumber or person doing the job just offering a temporary solution?
What was the condition of these items before the tenant moved in?
Find out the source of the issue and address it there.
If you keep needing to fix things because everything is on its last leg, then you might need to do a remodel after this tenant leaves and address not only cosmetics.
If your handyman is coming back everytime to fix the same thing, is it your handyman or your tenant?
This looks like it is bleeding you money. Usually, its a careless tenant, or items that are actually failing.
What you are renting might be close to or at "End of Service Life".
Like a guy who shows up at a NASCAR Race with a 20 year old family car with 300,000 miles and expects it to finish the race in 1st place.
There will be a lot more Pit Stops for repairs than a newer proper NASCAR car.
What an unpleasant rental experience for this renter, having to endlessly alert you to broken stuff.
Just my 2 Cents.
HUD Service Life Chart: https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/EUL_FOR_CNA_E_TOOL.PDF
It's likely a combo of both. OP might have a property that is more run down than he thinks and a tenant that is more bat **** than they think. We deal with this from time to time as a PMC and I hate it.
At some point you need to draw a line in the sand and explain to them its not the Waldorf Astoria they're staying in. Fix some issues but if they don't like the place and they're driving you nuts, just let them break the lease, find a more appreciative tenant fix up your place and move on. JMO.
I just wanted to address the prices you are being charged for plumbing. Our plumbing company charges $125/hr plus parts. Even if that was a 2 hour job for the gas leak, it would have been $250 plus any parts which would never have added up to the $1016. I would definitely look into this as I feel you are getting robbed.
@Mitch Staelens
Thank you for your feedback. Here is a breakdown of expense. Do you mind sharing your opinion?
@Artur A. I totally get where you’re coming from. I just took over a building where management ignored the property and tenants the last 7 years and justified it by leaving rents at 1/2 market value.
Needless to say I am hands on and am turning the building around and have raised rents. I have one tenant who calls and texts with issues at least 4 times a week. They have become jealous that vacant units are being renovated and even though their unit has been scheduled for an update in October continue to request it to be sooner. This morning the text was there is a baby wasp in my unit. The building was sprayed for wasps last Thursday and now she wants the company to come back out again! Lol
If I was you I would look into the exorbitant cost of the plumbing bill(s) and chalk it up to a bad 4-6 weeks. If it continues over the next 4-6 weeks I would schedule a meeting with the residents of that unit to have a discussion about it. Or have your manager do it if you have one.
My team and I try to resolve issues very quickly and be approachable to our residents and it looks like you are doing the same. You don’t want to alienate your client base by turning them off from communicating with you or you’ll end up with bigger leaks and maintenance issues and more expensive problems.
A couple things here:
I would prefer a breakdown of labor charges and parts:
Labor $125/hr x .5 hours = $62.50 In first example there are not any parts included so does he charge $160/hr to snake a drain? Our plumber would have not been there for an hour, but I would give this plumber the benefit of the doubt that it took awhile. Without the breakdown, there's not accountability of the time it took or the prices you are being charged parts.
The leak in the living room you were charged $95 for your plumber to talk to the tenants upstairs. Do you have a property management company that could have reached out to speak with the upper level tenants? Do you have their number to reach out? Agian, without a breakdown in labor charges was your plumber there for 15 minutes, or an hour and a half?
The last charge regarding the gas leak is a little more challenging as a gas leak is serious. However, just to put this in perspective if there were $200 in parts and 4 hours of labor it would have cost our plumber $125/hr ($500), + $200 in parts = $700. How long was he there, what parts were used and in the comments they are trying to convince you why it was so expensive "anytime we deal with gas its never an easy fix"). I had a gas leak from my water heater and paid a different plumber $150/hr to fix it and they were at our house for a half hour.
I am not saying to get a different plumber (I wouldn't pay your plumber with those invoices), but I highly recommend calling around and getting "service call" quotes. What do they charge to come out and fix a problem per hour, plus parts?
Sorry for the delay, we are moving into a new home. Hope this helps!
@Artur A. the price to snake seems fine.
Based on the amount of work done, it appears they may have spend many hours at the property. So, amount appears to be fair.
You may want to confirm how long the plumber was at the property to do all this.
So you’re saying I can make $150/hr while ‘making some repairs” which might include Facebook, texting, and eating lunch?
All repairs should have a before and after picture. Anything complex or time consuming usually has a “during” with a big mess everywhere.
@Artur A. The fair value for a plumber in your area may be different from others on this site, call a few and ask to judge whether this is right. As for snaking the drain I would say that a hair plug would be on the tenant and that should be in the lease. For a gas leak, the trouble shooting its hard to figure gas pipe leaks but personally it would be worth the peace of mind to me. Especially since the first guy didn't find a leak and the second did. There is a reason gas smells and you want tenant to report it.
For appliance I am not sure if you can pre-emptively authorize appliance replacement to your PM most dishwashers aren't worth repairing after a few years and this one had two repairs? You might look at other appliances proactively.
I would not make tenant responsible for the first dollars on repairs but only for costs for repairs they caused. The reason being is you don't want them to fix it themselves. (Ask anyone here why not there are some great examples of rubber band tenant fixes). Think wire hangers to fix the toilet flapper, grey tape on the refrigerator and washing machine seal.